Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought/priced used SV motors? Like from a salvage yard or ebay? I'm wondering what they cost approximately? Is it at all possible to order a NEW motor from Suzuki?

I'm trying to figure out what I should do when it's time to rebuild: Swap motors with a used one, and rebuild the old, or just rebuild the old one over a winter. Which would be more economical? Buying used motor or rebuilding?

Nate

B

·
0 Posts
rebore baby!

Haha, you sound like me. People have been asking me what my next bike will be (my SV is my first) and I keep saying that i'm going to keep my SV forever. Made me think if what I'd do when the engine wears out. I do remember reading a magazine article about a company that will rebore your bike to 700cc and regear it to match. That sounded like an attractive option to me. I figger by the time this bike wears out, I wouldn't mind the extra hp and torque, if I could keep the same frame and handling.

C

·
0 Posts
It depends on what you want. If you want more power, rebuild the one you have. If you want an easy swap that will cost less and most likely last longer, go with a used engine (low mileage sv engines are not hard to find). Just be sure to check the compression, oil, serial #'s etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
nah

Guys, if you treat the bike with respect (regular oil changes and other normal maintenance) your SV's original motor will last you your entire life. Most bikes never make it too far because they are crashed - but the 650 engine isn't a razor-thin tolerance motor by any stretch. It'll burble along in a low heat and rpm range for well past 100,000 miles with ordinary treatment. If the time comes and you want the power, just trade up. It won't be worth your time or money to rebore or any of that stuff.

-A

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Keep what you have

There was a recent post from a guy with 70K miles and just starting to burn oil. His valves were checked per the schedule and have never needed adjustment. Some time back a number of riders with 25K to 35K posted in similar results.

Keep up the maintenance schedule and you should be good to go for years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I figure it this way......

I put around 20,000 miles on my bike in the last 6 months. I figure I will most likely end up with around 50,000 miles by the time the bike is a year old.

Now, if you guys are correct, the bike will last me 2 years. I definitely WILL be rebuilding at that point as I cannot see spending between $7K and $10K every two years for a bike. That is rediculous.

I have heard that if you do bore it out you should not bore over a 700cc because the more becomes unreliable at best if you go over that. Is this true? also heard that you should not increase the compression because it will increase the chances of destroying the bearings? True also??

Thanks for any input.

J

·
0 Posts
Re:

how the hell did you put 20K miles in 6 months??
:shock:
\" \" said:
Well, I figure it this way......

I put around 20,000 miles on my bike in the last 6 months. I figure I will most likely end up with around 50,000 miles by the time the bike is a year old.

Now, if you guys are correct, the bike will last me 2 years. I definitely WILL be rebuilding at that point as I cannot see spending between $7K and $10K every two years for a bike. That is rediculous.

I have heard that if you do bore it out you should not bore over a 700cc because the more becomes unreliable at best if you go over that. Is this true? also heard that you should not increase the compression because it will increase the chances of destroying the bearings? True also??

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
20,000 miles in 6 months.....

easy. Move 60 miles away from your job that you ride to 5 days a week. Add to that your average of 200 to 300 miles a weekend for recreational riding and there you have it. 20,000 in 6 months. I would rather ride in the freezing rain than drive my truck on the commute. Traffic in SoCal is a b!tch. :)

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Respecting Motor

Stratocaster: What you say is correct. But, besides streetriding, I WILL be racing my bike. 8 weekends a year. So, I'll need a rebuild WAAY before I hit 100K. Or even 70. I'll probably be putting on over 1K/Year on the track.

Nate

D

·
0 Posts
20,000 miles on my bike in the last 6 months!!
My bike bought second hand (UK W reg) has done 12,000 miles (3 years I think?) and I've just added 150 miles to that.

Thanks - You've just made me feel like I have a youthful bike with plenty of life left! :wink:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I check out ebay every now and then for SV engines. First gens would be nice because they have the stronger crank. My dream to successfully/semi-reliably turbocharge the SV650 is alive and well... inactive though it may be.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
No. I don't know why but people have looked into it. I'm sure it could be done but not for a reasonable amount of money

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hmm, I thought I read somewhere awhile back that, someone, maybe TWF had put a liter engine in. I could have been mistakin though.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I check out ebay every now and then for SV engines. First gens would be nice because they have the stronger crank. My dream to successfully/semi-reliably turbocharge the SV650 is alive and well... inactive though it may be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts