Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's about the time to rebuild my bike. I have been thinking about it for a while and have decided to go forward with it. I spent most of the day today stripping her down. I am almost down to the bare frame. Once I get her down to the bare frame I will take the frame, swing arm, sub frame, and rims to have them powder coated. I am going to have them powder coated a dark dust gray. Most of the mods I have planned right now are cosmetic. Right now I have plans for a svr street kit 1 from 2wheel junkie, a street solo tail, unique front fender, and the rear hugger. I will design my own undertail and relocate my liscence plate. I am going to get a new full exhaust system that will most likely be a high mount kit. I do however have a limited ammount of experience with the engines... I want to get around 85-90 hp out of the motor and I don't know of a whole lot that can be done to it. What can be done to the motor to produce that much top end? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

G

·
Re: Rebuilding my SVS

if you have little experience with engine you probably dont want to do it your self.
you can get 85-90(see dyno run of my bike)and still be prety reliable if done right.
if you decide to do it pm me and I can help you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Okay... It's been a day or two since I have updated this so here it is...

I didn't start the project until about 2 months ago. I have been really busy working so have only been doing it little by little. It is almost done, maybe about another 15 hours of work.

I stripped the bike down 100% and painted the frame, swing arm, lower forks, and the triple clamps a metallic charcoal. I also painted the wheels a bright white. They turned out very good. I added Galfer SS front and rear brake lines, re-fabricated my seats so they are a solid black using a marine vinyl, new mirrors with the turn signals built into them, new brake/clutch levers, Yosh RS-3 SS Exhaust kit, Cyclecats rearsets w/ CF kick plates and KG cycles full fairings with solo race tail. I have the House of Kolor paint on order and it is a good looking blue and as soon as it gets in I'll be painting the fairings.

I got the fairings mounted tonight and have some fine finishing details to work out on them. I re-drilled holes in the windscreen to mount it about 1/2 inch lower to fit the new fairings a little bit better and I think it looks better on the bike with it being lowered. All I have left to do is bleed the brakes and do a little fine tuning on the fairings and paint them.

I should have pics up by Tuesday (gotta borrow a digi cam). Just wanted to do a little follow up posting and spread my joy. 8)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The fairings are going to be blue and white. All paint is going to be House of Kolor. The front is going to be the BS26 which is a white urathane enamel, and the blue is going to be oriental blue which is also a urethane enamel. I haven't decided completely on the paint scheme yet but it's going to be mainly blue with some sort of white design in it. I was thinking of doing a white front end and fade it to blue around mid way through the fairings then blue all the way back and have white stripes diagonally on the solo tail. I am still throwing ideas around so if anyone has input... send it my way :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Recent pics are up... I have one issue with a gap but that is posted in another thread. Anyways, the pics here are before paint and final fairing mounting/adjustments.
Before

Now

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

tail is from kgcycles

·
Registered
20 Posts

its going to look good man!! i'm pretty bitter that i cant get my hands on the kgcycle fairings. they wont ship to ontario, canada so i'm out of luck. now i gotta spend more and buy the 2WJ fairing !! ahhh i wish they would just ship to canada!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here it is. The bike is not finished but I am moving in less than 2 weeks so it is done until I am finished moving. But so far it has KG Cycles full fairings and race tail, Galfer SS front/rear brake lines, Cyclecats rearsets, yosh SS full system, painted the frame, swingarm, fork lowers, triple clamps, wheels and reuppholetered the seat. The fairings still need to be wet sanded and buffed and the gas tank needs to be painted too. The gas tank right now just wears the primer and sealer and I will finish painting it in Washington. Anyways, the pics below are the before the project started, during, and now.

Before:

During:

And now (not 100% finished):

So... what ya think? It's nothing too great as far as performance, mostly all cosmetic work. I need to learn how to ride more before I start making it any faster so everything has been purely for looks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wheels are staying white, the fairings are done aside from the wet sanding and the buffing. The tank is going to be pearl black, and the tail is painted with a bit of black. I'll go outside and take closer pics of the tail in a few minutes. I still need to paint the tank but that will be finished when I get to Washington.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was originally going to go with all blue but I decided to throw off the blue a bit and throw some darker color up top and am painting the gas tank a pearl black. I went with the white wheels because I really like the way white and blue look together with a shiny exhaust and a touch of CF here and there (CF heel plates).

As far as what I think of the KG Cycles fairings, I think they look pretty good. They were a bit more work than what I expected due to some fitment and alignment issues but I got them to align okay and fit fine. I did not use his bracket that he supplied, I made my own brackets to mount to the radiator brace, and the stock mounting tabs in the rear of the original fairings. The tail was a bit of a pain because I had a huge gap between the seat and the tail, after remounting the tail that gap went away. The rear of the bike isn't finished though. I am still going to get rid of the stock brake light and make a fiberglass undertail that I can mount some aftermarket 03-05 brake lights on and use those lights as my brake/turn signal lights.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Yeah I know how it is. You just have to play with it for a while to get it to fit right. Some of the guys that have done it just hacked theirs up and threw it on. I took my time and got it all to line up and fit right.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spent a bit of time getting it to fit right and have mostly everything align just right. There are a few places where it doesnt align but its one of those things that you ahve to know about it to see it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I see every flaw in my work and it drives me nuts!! But overall they fit very well and look pretty good.

NHSV: What did you do with your front header pipe? Did you wrap it in a heat tape to keep heat from the fairing or did you cut a vent hole underneath your lower fairing? Right now the paint is boiled a little bit underneath the fairing. I am not worried about it because it's going to give me an outline to cut the fairing around where the pipe is close to it.

Also, do you have more detailed pics of how you mounted the fairings? Front/rear mounting brackets, windsheild brackets, ect... I have already made my own brackets and all but I still like to see what other people used for theirs.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Okay the rear I just mouted it to the exhaust brack with a new bolt and 1 inch spacer. The windshild I just put an extra hole up by the mirros and bolted the windscreen to the fairing instead of making brackets like they said on the website.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts