Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am starting a rebuild on my gen 1. it is a track bike. i bought the bike with a spun rod berring. the crank is currently at falicon cranks, gettng recon. i will need one connecting rod, oem, the other is good. my question is will the oem rods be strong enough for the motor or do i need to upgrade? previous owner had dyno sheet with 88hp at the wheel. i do not plan on doing any jug work other than cleaning the glaze off the cylinder.

are there any issues i need to be aware of during the rebuild?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Check clearances on everything! The service manual has all the info you need for this.

New main and rod bearings
Check for any stiction or play in the input/output transmission bearings (pressed into case)
Look over trans (forks and drum too!) with fine tooth comb
New timing chains
New valve springs
New gaskets all around (head, base, sides)

Obviously some of it is optional but as normal, the majority of the cost in this is your time or you paying for someone else's time, might as well put in fresh parts that are wear items.

I just finished an engine build so it's fresh in my head if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Generally you don't tend to hear about rod problems on 1st gens. If it was a 2nd gen I'd say to replace it, but you should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts