Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some GSXR calipers I was going to install, but first I decided to clean them. I took them apart completely and just doused the whole thing in BrakeKleen. Recently I've learned that this wasn't the smartest thing to do - since the cleaner damaged my seals. So... do I need to rebuild the calipers now or is this not a big deal?

If I need a rebuild, where can I buy the kits? Also, with the caliper pistons pushed all the way in, is there any way to get them out without compressed air (calipers are off the bike) since I have no compressor? thx

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This thread should help http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=96743&highlight=rebuilding+calipers

There was a post about getting the pods out w/o air something with a bucket and liquid.
I did the same thing and just put them back together and connect them to a mc and pressed them out via lever.
But you would need to have something thick as the rotors in between the pods otherwise you are going to have a mess.

With the seals I would clean them with brake fluid and would check if the are cracked or damaged.
I got mine from bike bandits.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links guys :thumbsup:

I figure I might as well rebuild the calipers, even if the seals aren't ruined, since the rest of the braking system is new. But I looked around online and I can't find any rebuild kits?? Would my dealer have these parts?

I have a stock 05 SV650S rear caliper and 2003 GSXR600 fronts..

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I think I got my rebuild parts from either Ron Ayers or Oneida. I want to say it was Ron Ayers though. I just went through their online fiche and put the parts I needed into the shopping cart. I don't think there was a full on rebuild kit.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Your seals may be damaged, but not by BraKleen. It's safe for every part of the braking system, including plastic reservoirs.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Your seals may be damaged, but not by BraKleen. It's safe for every part of the braking system, including plastic reservoirs.
Yep - it's carb cleaner that is a no-no.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great! The price for the full set of seals is ridiculous - glad I don't have to do this. If I want to clean the calipers anyways, can I remove, clean, and reinstall the old seals??

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
That's great! The price for the full set of seals is ridiculous - glad I don't have to do this. If I want to clean the calipers anyways, can I remove, clean, and reinstall the old seals??

Yes you can and should do that with your seals. Cleaning the caliper inside with the seals still installed would be no fun and you can inspect the seals and see if they are cracked or damaged in any way when they are out.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Yes you can and should do that with your seals. Cleaning the caliper inside with the seals still installed would be no fun and you can inspect the seals and see if they are cracked or damaged in any way when they are out.
I always thought you were not supposed to reuse caliper seals.

The seals usually sell for like $20 a caliper so do you want to chance it for less than $50?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I always thought you were not supposed to reuse caliper seals.

The seals usually sell for like $20 a caliper so do you want to chance it for less than $50?
If the seals are not cracked or damaged you can reuse them. I did and have no problem so far. But when doubt I would change them, I bought a full set of new seals and used only the really good old ones.

I maintain 3 SV`s which have all the same calipers so I try to be resourceful.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
744 Posts
- Remember to lubricate all the seals with brake fluid before installing them.

- The old GSXR brake caliper seals were direction, but the new ones don't appear to be.

- Check your pistons for corrosion. If you find any, and aren't able to clean it off, order new pistons. Reusing corroded pistons is a recipe for seized or leaking calipers. In fact, I recommend just spending the extra money on the piston kit to begin with, because you end up with essentially new calipers when done.

- You should be able to push the pistons back in by hand. If you can't, then there's something else wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
- Remember to lubricate all the seals with brake fluid before installing them.

- The old GSXR brake caliper seals were direction, but the new ones don't appear to be.

- Check your pistons for corrosion. If you find any, and aren't able to clean it off, order new pistons. Reusing corroded pistons is a recipe for seized or leaking calipers. In fact, I recommend just spending the extra money on the piston kit to begin with, because you end up with essentially new calipers when done.

- You should be able to push the pistons back in by hand. If you can't, then there's something else wrong.
good advice. With the Tokico calipers that I've rebuilt, I have for the most part just went ahead and replaced the pistons. They aren't that spendy. Of course it depends on how old the calipers are too.

Now the Sumitomo calipers that the R1 / R6 use, those pistons ARE expensive. Not really sure why.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna chance it reusing the old pistons, they looked to be in decent shape. Now what was that about the directional seals? The calipers are '03 GSXR600 so they might be the older ones you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna chance it reusing the old pistons, they looked to be in decent shape. Now what was that about the directional seals? The calipers are '03 GSXR600 so they might be the older ones you mentioned.
Read a manual on the rebuild procedure. The seals are shaped so that a certain side goes on the outside. The new ones should be the same either way so it doesn't matter.

I can't really explain it without drawing a picture, but you'll see if you read the manual.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Read a manual on the rebuild procedure. The seals are shaped so that a certain side goes on the outside. The new ones should be the same either way so it doesn't matter.

I can't really explain it without drawing a picture, but you'll see if you read the manual.
Exactly. If you read the manual, it tells you the seals are directional and need to have a certain side facing out. However, all the new seals I've seen so far can be installed any direction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts