Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

rebuild update.....

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jhaag 
#1 ·
Well, went down and saw the motor torn down most of the way. The front (#1) main bearing is GONE!!! I could pull on the connecting rod and got at least a 1/4 inch of free play in it....so the shop has to special tools just to spit the cases. Kinda funny seeing how this is a Suzuki dealership and that I had to spend $70 on a special socket just to get the motor out.....Oh well, the rebuild looking like it's going to cost me at least $1,800. That's hopefully with a new crank, rings, cam chain tensioner chain, etc. All the things that go with wear and tear. But the bikes sitting at 24K miles when it went. So the morale of the story? Keep the front wheel down boys and girls, please, please, don't follow me!

#6 ·
How would you know the condition of the new engine? At least by having the engine completely rebuilt, you know you've got a solid unit. I would say the lesson here would be to maybe to go to a reputable independent shop next time. And that whole socket deal sounds fishy. If the mechanic wants the money to do the job, HE buys the tools. That's how it works in all shops. As far as I'm concerned, It's your $70 socket.

#7 ·
sawedoffshotgun said:
How would you know the condition of the new engine? At least by having the engine completely rebuilt, you know you've got a solid unit. I would say the lesson here would be to maybe to go to a reputable independent shop next time. And that whole socket deal sounds fishy. If the mechanic wants the money to do the job, HE buys the tools. That's how it works in all shops. As far as I'm concerned, It's your $70 socket.
i see...buy one from zoran, you'll know it's good then :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.