Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a specific reason why the swap the ZX10 and not the GSXR? Is this due to the specifications or ease of installing of one shock over another? Or is ZX10 just really common (and inexpensive)?

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Because it fits better. Newer ZX10 shocks don't even need any cutting/drilling, just swap the lower bolt and you're set.

Do some searching around. SEARCH is your friend.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
199 Posts
idk about 2nd gens but i have a 1st gen and i just did a swap on my own.what i DID have to do is cut the battery stabilizer (the little thing made of metal between the gas tank and the battery, and extend the box's position, you can find the right up on how to do all that under the 99-02 forum section its one of the stickys. i did NOT have to remove the gas tank and go through the top, take of the rear tire, or do any other drastic mods. i consider myself moderately handy around my bike up to the 3 wrench stuff in haynes and this one was really easy. i did break a few of my extenders for my 1/4 wrench before i found out i had a 3/8 socket that would work, make sure if/when you do this you have plenty of WD40 and grease off of your choice, and dont rush it like i did, give the WD40 time to work ;p

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
It is almost exactly the same length and it is a direct bolt on with no modifications. Plus it is fully adjustable.

·
Registered
850 Posts
GSXR shock is too short. But could be good for those wanting to lower their bikes.
+1 GSXR is good if you want to lower the bike. On a 1st gen you'll have to lower the forks in the triple about an inch to compensate and maintain stock trail. With new springs/oil and the cheap-o emulators I've not have any problems with this severe a drop. Stock you'd probably had issues though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my sv came with zx-14 rear shock, previous owner uprgaded it... Is there any advantage to having this at all? He was a bit bigger (which was his reasoning behind replacing it), but I'm only 175 lbs, and new to bikes, so I know little about suspension... saw this thread and thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
my sv came with zx-14 rear shock, previous owner uprgaded it... Is there any advantage to having this at all? He was a bit bigger (which was his reasoning behind replacing it), but I'm only 175 lbs, and new to bikes, so I know little about suspension... saw this thread and thought I'd ask.
The ZX-14 shock is too big for all but the heaviest riders, and I'm talking 250lbs+. It's still overkill if you ride with a passenger at all times.

At your weight it is probably detrimental to your riding, if not on par with stock. I would suggest finding a local shop that has a suspension guru, and talking to them about it. If you can't find one, then I'd suggest switching to a 636 shock or a Penske, depending on your money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a new rider too and the bike I have has the ZX-10 shock. I still have the stock one, and am about 6'3", 180ish (call it 185). I love the riding position as is. Worth swapping out?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I'm a new rider too and the bike I have has the ZX-10 shock. I still have the stock one, and am about 6'3", 180ish (call it 185). I love the riding position as is. Worth swapping out?
Are you asking if you should revert the ZX10 back to the stock shock? If the ZX10 shock is set up properly for your weight, it will be better than the stock shock in most aspects.

Any motorcycle suspension shop will set up your shock for little or no charge, and most motorcycle dealers will do the same. However, an OEM shock swap like this is no replacement for a properly set up aftermarket shock made for the bike. As a new rider though, you have other things to focus on than suspension adjustments.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay cool thanks so much. From looking at the previous owner, I would say he was within +/- 10lbs of me so I'm not going to worry too much about this now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts