Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 160 on the rear. Can I go any wider on stock rim?? I would like to go to a 180. If I change out the wheels is it an easy swap?? I like the way the f3 wheel looks but I would want to have matching fronts. Can you also put on the f3 front or does it not even match up?

Thanks for all the info and help................Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Going to a 180 on an SV650 is a sure way to get labeled a squid. ;)

Kidding. (But not really.)

You're not going to see any benefits by going to a 180 other than "looks". In fact, handling may actually degrade. But, if that's what you really, really want so be it.

-No, don't go wider on the stock rear rim.

-You'll need a wheel or spacer or two made up, IIRC.

-I highly doubt the F3 front would work, and I'm near certain it won't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
F3 Front wheel = NO.

anything bigger than a 160 on the stock SV wheel = NO.

My personal setup is a F3 rear wheel with a 170/60 rear tire. The wheel is wider and so is the tire. Also Pilot Powers tend to be a little wider for some reason, so mine really looks like like a 180, but performs amazing. I really like this setup so far for street / track day riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
bigdogs_sv said:
I currently have a 160 on the rear. Can I go any wider on stock rim?? I would like to go to a 180. If I change out the wheels is it an easy swap?? I like the way the f3 wheel looks but I would want to have matching fronts. Can you also put on the f3 front or does it not even match up?

Thanks for all the info and help................Lee
Are you doing this all for looks or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured that I would have a bigger contact patch with a wider tire. Plus for the looks. I like the way the 160 pilot power handle but if I can enhance the looks as well as performance that would be great. I am new to the street used to dirt. I do appreciate all the info. I figure I would ask the all knowing guru's on here before I did something to waste money or something stupid. I am going to upgrade the front and rear suspension and I figured while I was at it I would improve the cornering by going bigger. I do thank everyone for there input. Thanks........Lee
 
G

·
bigdogs_sv said:
I am going to upgrade the front and rear suspension and I figured while I was at it I would improve the cornering by going bigger.
the fact is you will not improve cornering with bigger tire.
both tires can handle everything you got.
stickier tire is another story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
bigdogs_sv said:
I figured that I would have a bigger contact patch with a wider tire.  Plus for the looks.  I like the way the 160 pilot power handle but if I can enhance the looks as well as performance that would be great.  I am new to the street used to dirt.  I do appreciate all the info.  I figure I would ask the all knowing guru's on here before I did something to waste money or something stupid.  I am going to upgrade the front and rear suspension and I figured while I was at it I would improve the cornering by going bigger.  I do thank everyone for there input.  Thanks........Lee
It's not bad to want your bike to look cool, although a lot of people will chastize you for it! ;D Many people think the wider tire gives the SV more of a "sport bike" look, and I agree. If I had an SV street bike, I'd run a 180 just for the look. For a street bike, that's the only justification, there's no argument that the 180 will give you better traction on the street, and tire selection is not an issue like it is on the track. If you want to put some fat rubber back there, go for it! Just don't do the extended, chrome swingarm and 240 tire, then we'd have to disown you..... ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't have to worry about an extended swing arm. Now a chrome one might be differant......lol I am not going to do anything that will hurt the all around performance of the SV. Just to improve on whats there. I think I'm going to enhance the suspension for now and when I burn off the 160 I will make my decision on the the 180. I think that if I go bigger that I will go with the pilot power 170. Thanks everyone.....Lee
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top