Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I replaced the rear stock D220 tire after only 6,510 miles. The stock front tire has plenty of tread left, so didn't replace it. For the record I put another D220 on the rear. My plan is to hopefully wear both tires out together.
Next time, I plan on up grading both tires to something like RoadTec Z6, Diablo Strada, or Pilot Road. I guess I could have replaced both tires now and went with the up grade. But, that front tire had an awful lot of tread left and I'm a frugal person. ::)
I was wondering if others have used this 2 rear to 1 front tire procedure and how many miles they actually got out of there stock front Dunlop D220's? Thanks in advance for any response.
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A1A-- My experience with a single pair of D220's: The front scalloped badly by ~12K, the rear had another 2-3K of life left in it. I replaced them as a pair, which is my habit. Pressures: ~38 f/~42 r; Riding style: commuting, sport touring, a little bit of sport/squid riding, no burnouts/stoppies.

HTH

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
A1A--  My experience with a single pair of D220's:  The front scalloped badly by ~12K, the rear had another 2-3K of life left in it.  I replaced them as a pair, which is my habit.  Pressures:  ~38 f/~42 r; Riding style:  commuting, sport touring, a little bit of sport/squid riding, no burnouts/stoppies.
HTH
If your not a super aggressive rider they last a while, but once you've had a better tire you would never go back.

I have to have faith in my tires for the type of riding I do, and never scimp on them.... Replace one, replace both motto.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
for the first year I went thru MeZ4's at a 3rear:2front ratio, then I started running Pireeeli MT60R's in winter, I go thru a rear in 1500miles and front in 3000, the rest of the time, I am now running Azaro ST's I change them in pairs about every 12-13k

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I think the Bunny ran on Pilot Powers...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Ya know, with all the internet moto board tire thread lurking I do, complaints I've seen about the Powers are few and far between. It seems like Michelin hit a big dinger with this line...

[Back to lurk mode, my apologies A1A. Tire threads are my crack habit... :-[]

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got about 8K miles from my front D220. There was still plenty of tread but it was a hockey puck that I didn't trust...especially when I had a more capable Z6 in the rear.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I just faced the same situation, only my 220 rear lasted only 5k miles. I replaced it with a Pilot Road, but I haven't tried it yet (waiting on a new shock). I will either put a Road or a Power on front when the Dunlop is gone, if not sooner.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Super responses guy's, thanks again for all the info and to everyone who responded. My plan was to hope to get 12,000 miles out of my front stocker and replace both tires with an up grade. I'd love to go with the Pilot Powers, but I don't think they would last very long in the Florida heat. So will be leaning toward the Pilot Roads. I'm not the knee dragger or wheelie type.
But, would like a tire to give confidence in the turns and also give the longer tire wear. I might have to investigate those Azaro ST's Randy O mentioned. As thats the type of mileage I would be looking to achieve.
Cheers!

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
A1A said:
Wow! Super responses guy's, thanks again for all the info and to everyone who responded. My plan was to hope to get 12,000 miles out of my front stocker and replace both tires with an up grade. I'd love to go with the Pilot Powers, but I don't think they would last very long in the Florida heat. So will be leaning toward the Pilot Roads. I'm not the knee dragger or wheelie type.
But, would like a tire to give confidence in the turns and also give the longer tire wear. I might have to investigate those Azaro ST's Randy O mentioned. As thats the type of mileage I would be looking to achieve.
Cheers!
I am still a Michelin guy, so I say Pilot Roads. ;D

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
singha said:
Skinny,

Just wonder how much do you weigh?  How does the added tire pressure help you?

thanks,
singha
Generally speaking a higher tire pressure will sacrifice grip, but gain mileage toward wear (they last longer).

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
singha--

I weigh in tonight at an electrifying 171 pounds...

Sorry, I thought for a second there I was Mr. Kennedy... :-[

171 right now, singha. The benefits of added tire pressure were aptly summarized by Herr Nudist: Lose a little grip and gain a little mileage.

I think the primary benefit of added air pressure is cooler running temperature. Temperature greatly affects the rate at which rubber is shed; Every time your wheel goes round, a little bit of rubber is shed and left on the road. How much depends on many factors including temp of the tire and road surface, type of tire (race, sport, tour), etc. By keeping pressures up, the tire runs slightly cooler and sheds less rubber, thus extending tire life.

The flip side of tire life is grip. Within reason, you can drop the psi a little and gain grip, but in doing so, you're shedding more rubber with each revolution of the wheel. Ask any racer about his tire pressure and the low psi's might surprise you. They do it for a reason, though: They are willing to sacrifice tire life at the expense of ultimate traction; also, many of the tires they use are designed to run hotter (to increase grip).

Stock psi recommendations for the SV are 33 f/36 r (from the SV manual); tire manufacturers may also recommend slightly different pressures for a certain tire/bike set up. The high pressures work for me because I do not ride real aggressively and I'm cheap, so I like to string my tires out. I also experiment heavily with each new set of tires to find the best compromise psi in terms of grip and life.

Other tips to extend tire life:

1 Smoooooottttth throttle and braking inputs all the time
2 No burnouts/stoppies (see #1)
3 Let your tires warm up properly before you flog the life out of 'em
4 Soften suspension settings (reducing skipping/spinning of the tire on the road surface)

HTH...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nudist said:
Generally speaking a higher tire pressure will sacrifice grip, but gain mileage toward wear (they last longer).
While it may be true that higher pressures sacrifice grip, but I really noticed a significant gain in feedback or "road feel" that actually gives me more confidence.  I can feel what the tires are doing so much better.  At least that's been my experience with the Dunlops.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
wee twin said:
While it may be true that higher pressures sacrifice grip, but I really noticed a significant gain in feedback or "road feel" that actually gives me more confidence.  I can feel what the tires are doing so much better.  At least that's been my experience with the Dunlops.
I will give you that within reason... but we are talking any increment of a pound making a difference on a bike.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I concur ( ;) ) with Dr. Nudist. Differences of 1-2 psi can make a huge difference in tire feel (not necessarily grip, but feedback). My guess is, you go any more than 10-15% out of the suggested psi range, you're asking for trouble. Tire manufacturers put a tremendous amount of time and money into R & D, they know their tires better than us schmucks...

Nudist-- Are you saying that 1 pound does not make a difference?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts