Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a front and rear suspension upgrade project this Winter, and trying to get down the details for a replacement shock. I weigh like 160 without gear, and Race Tech's calc says 7.30 kg/mm for street. Looking at the spreadsheet, this tracks to the 04-05 GSX-R750 Showa shock. Also says that the battery box has to be modified to do so. Had a couple questions:

Is 7.3 enough to manage cruising, slightly aggressive riding, and possible two-up riding? Or should I do the 7.6 GSX-R600?

Has anyone done this swap and has pictures of the battery box mods required?

Is the ride height changed at all (would surprise me with 2.5 mm shock length increase)?

Are the GSX-R Dogbones required?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm probably not the guy to ask on rates and such. However, I do have a stock GSXR 05 shock here, dog bones, and cushion lever. Most everything seen here https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2005/sv650s/rear-cushion-lever

Also have all the same stuff off a '08 zx6r and have heard people like running that shock too. I run a penski and have never tried either the GSXR or ZX6R setup.

Battery Box is a no brainer but will take a little investment to switch over to a lithium batt and good cables. Getting the weight down low and making the batt easy to access for charging is nice too. There are a few guys that make the mounts but I think I got mine here: http://twfracing.com/PartsPages/batterybox.html but there is also this one https://www.spearsenterprises.com/product/antigravity-aluminum-battery-tray-4-cell/ do some searching because there is another one out there too.
Mine:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
You would be much better off with an aftermarket shock. However, if you prefer to go with an OEM shock then assuming you have a Gen 2, the 06-07 ZX-10R shock would be the best option. It is 9/32" longer than the stock shock, has 4mm more shock travel, is adjustable for preload, rebound and compression. I rode an 07 shock for over a year and can tell you that it is an excellent OEM shock. No alterations are required to install it and you can use the stock SV dogbones. You do need the longer ZX lower shock bolt but it is otherwise a drop in fit. The spring rate of the 06-07 ZX-10R shock is just about right for you, too.

I weigh just about the same as you and I know this shock will work. The problem will be finding one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't 0.83 be too high? They do seem a lot harder to find, but there are some.

SV1000S shocks seem to be around for a bit cheaper. Know anyone who used one of those?

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Wouldn't 0.83 be too high? They do seem a lot harder to find, but there are some.

SV1000S shocks seem to be around for a bit cheaper. Know anyone who used one of those?
I found the stock SV shock to be sprung very light for a 160# rider. I was 165# when I rode that shock so maybe 180# with gear. Switching to the ZX shock was no problem. More importantly, the ZX shock is very responsive to tuning. While it is nowhere near as good as a Penske, it does tune easily and works worlds better than the stock shock.

Your rear shock is the most critical suspension component on the bike. If you can, find a Penske and have it set up for you. The difference in performance is amazing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone advise to a reasonable price range for an 07 ZX10R shock in decent shape?

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are becoming harder and harder to find as the years have gone by I've found. It used to be that you could easily find good condition ones for $45-$50 bucks.

I'd be happy to find one <$90 in good condition on eBay at this point. If you can find someone here or local you certainly can still find them reasonably priced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The trouble with most of the info I found doing this research was that it is now 10+ years old, and talking about used OEM units that were already another 5ish years old, in some cases more. Any shock from a decade or so ago is likely to need a rebuild anyway.

I found a '13 ZX6 shock for AU$100 local (in Aus, so much smaller market than you guys) and it seemed to tick all the boxes for fitment to my 08 ABS - 334mm overall length, 45deg reservoir offset to the left. With a bit of massaging of brake lines and spacing the mounting bolts of the ABS box it squeezed in.

Can't comment on spring/dampening rates as I haven't ridden it yet, but it is 3-way adjustable, and if I still can't get it to behave it is serviceable, so can be revalved and resprung.

I guess the moral of the story is not to limit your options to pre-2010 info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the '11-'15 zx10r shocks are a similar spring rate and length. Some look like reservoir is parallel to the shock axis but off to the side an inch or two, others it looks like its a 45 degree and might need cutting the battery box.

Seem possible or anyone done?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Having done a couple of take-off shocks before...

Just spend the money on a Penske/Ohlin/Elka/JRi/etc. At the end of race season you can find a used on at a decent price. Have Zoran @ twfracing service it for you and set it up for your weight.

The problem with stock take-offs is they are not valved correctly. So even if you get a spring rate and length that are close, they still don't handle right. Re-valving them isn't an efficient option (lots of time experimenting with shim stacks, and really need a shock dyno to do it right)

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I have the gold ZX6 shock with the red springs I'd sell you for $50. Came with the bike, the previous owner never installed it and I ended up finding an Ohlins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The trouble with most of the info I found doing this research was that it is now 10+ years old, and talking about used OEM units that were already another 5ish years old, in some cases more. Any shock from a decade or so ago is likely to need a rebuild anyway.

I found a '13 ZX6 shock for AU$100 local (in Aus, so much smaller market than you guys) and it seemed to tick all the boxes for fitment to my 08 ABS - 334mm overall length, 45deg reservoir offset to the left. With a bit of massaging of brake lines and spacing the mounting bolts of the ABS box it squeezed in.

Can't comment on spring/dampening rates as I haven't ridden it yet, but it is 3-way adjustable, and if I still can't get it to behave it is serviceable, so can be revalved and resprung.

I guess the moral of the story is not to limit your options to pre-2010 info.
Sorry to revive this old thread (well, under a year so maybe not that old lol) but wanted to know how ur ZX6 shock is doing so far? My friend unfortunately crashed his 2012 ZX6R and i can grab the shock from him, so would really appreciate if you could let me know a few things?

1. I've seen the '12 shock length listed as 337mm but you say yours is 334mm, do you know if they are they different? I thought the model was essentially unchanged between those 2 years?
2. How difficult was fitting? It'll be going into a K9 SV with no ABS.... so does it need the obligatory batt box cut etc?
3. I've read something about needing one of the ZX6 bolts to use in place of the SV ones (when doing the older 04-05 ZX6 shocks) is this still the case for the newer '13 ones? If so, which bolts?
4. Anything else i need to be aware of? Diff ride height? Longer/shorter dogbones?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts