Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wanting to replace my stock shock with a good up grade! any idea's? with as little mods as possible.. please help with info.. thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
Lets be nice.

ZX-10r or 14.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Here's the basic rundown:

A) You can buy a used shock from a ninja, gsxr, etc. for around $100 or less.

OR

B) Buy a new (you'd be lucky if you found used for your weight) aftermarket shock from Penske, Ohlims, Foxx, etc. and put that in your bike. This will cost you about almost grand I think. This will also be the option with the least amount of modifying if that's your concern.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
As stated before...

No mods = A lot of money...
Cheap = A lot of mods...

But we are nice fellas here... Lets start with the basics...

What year SV650S you got...?
How much do you weight...?
What is your skill level 1-10...?
How much money you have to play with...?

Luis

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well, actually, putting in an gsxr/ninja/etc shock doesn't actually require that much modification, if that's what you're afraid of.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Trying to keep it simple.......

Depends on what you mean by 'modification'. Cutting the battery box a little bit.....or wholesale parts changes?

A take-off shock (used GSXR/ZX10 etc.) usually means some minor cutting. A new aftermarket shock that doesn't have a reservoir (Hagon?) would be a bolt-on and forget. Something like a Fox, Penske, Ohlins or Elka will have a reservoir that will need to be mounted.

When you get right down to it - neither option is a big deal to execute. Patience and time is all you need. A lot has to do with your budget and availability of tools. If you've got money and want someone else to do it - who cares about mods? If you're on a tight budget and a do-it-yourselfer.....get a used take-off and don't make other plans for a Saturday morning.

Figure out what you want to spend. That will determine which route. Again - neither requires a lot of modification. But in most cases some level of modification is necessary regardless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's a 2001 sv650s, im 200lbs and my riding skills about 6, my machanical skills about 10. i preferre to do all my own work.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Installing a GSXR shock in a first gen is snap, look for a later year GSXR shock they are sprung heavier..... A ZX-14 is also a great choice for 200+ riders.

See this post for all the 411 - http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=46840
The 1st gen has a different linkage then the 2nd so your advice may be a little off.

Penske recommends a 675 lb/in spring for your weight. The busa shock is about 730 lb/in. The busa shock will be a little shorter though.

Other than that you can get a 636 shock which is about 540 lb/in.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
it's a 2001 sv650s, im 200lbs and my riding skills about 6, my machanical skills about 10. i preferre to do all my own work.
I upgraded to an Elka over the winter, you can have my 636 shock for cheap if you want.. It's from a 2007.
Let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
my spelling skill is about 7....
I see that reading comprehension skill is up there too. ;)

How would you rate you being a A==hole??
I'd say an 8. I'm a pretty big jerk, but not all the time. ;D

I did answer your question though.

Busa shock or 636. Busa will be a little stiff and lower the rear a little and the 636 will be a little light, but should raise the rear up some.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im interested in this mod i have an 02 sv650s now im 200+ so im lookin for a zx14 rear shock off what year bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts