Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a new to me 08 SV650S. On the front, going to go with heavier springs and 20 weight oil. Been searching old posts on here about cheap rear shock upgrades. Ebay is full of takeoff shocks that are supposed to fit. I am really trying to figure out what make or makes of shocks bolt on with no modifications needed. I weigh about 225 lbs if that makes a difference.
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same bike, same mods as I'm doing right now.

I just finished .90 racetech springs and 15wt oil. I was about to tackle the 06-07 ZX10r rear shock I bought, but ran out of daylight.

They really need to sticky a few more things in this section, like how to swap springs, measure oil level, and this thread

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80387

·
Registered
594 Posts
...Been searching old posts on here about cheap rear shock upgrades... I am really trying to figure out what make or makes of shocks bolt on with no modifications needed. I weigh about 225 lbs if that makes a difference.
Thanks,
Fred
For your weight, ZX-14 any year. Same length as stock, no mods or cutting, bolts right in. Spring is 543 lb.-in. Unless you want to spring for a Penske.

Tons of info here on this site, keep searching

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You may need to custom fab your lower bolt depending how anal you are about yield strength, ect ect.. There isn't, at least not in the great aerospace supplier rich Auburn/Kent/Renton area, a bolt that exactly matches the application aside from many with the ideal shoulder length that are too long.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
heres a good question. does your 08 have ABS? this can make or break a donor swap attempt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NO ABS. There are several zx14 shocks on ebay right now. I was just trying to find something that didnt require cutting up any plastic underneath.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I dont think any of the zx14 shocks require cutting the battery box, but if you have the tool box under the battery box, then you will have to cut that off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do you guys calculate what shock to run for a given weight? Just got an 05, and i figure i'll start looking now for replacements, and swap it over the winter.

I'm 150-155lbs, 5'7, and considering a GSXR front swap sometime next season.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Theres charts online(someone will probably post it) that say what spring rates cover what ranges of weight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok. just wondering what anyone would suggest for a rear shock for about 155lb (no gear) rider? I was thinkin an 06/07 ZX-10R since what i've found is it has the lowest spring rate, but still has rebound/compression adjust, is easy to install, and cheap (assuming i can find one on ebay, right now there's none)

what about getting something like a ZX-10R of another model year, a ZX-14 or a ZX-6RR? but swapping the spring for something lighter?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok. just wondering what anyone would suggest for a rear shock for about 155lb (no gear) rider? I was thinkin an 06/07 ZX-10R since what i've found is it has the lowest spring rate, but still has rebound/compression adjust, is easy to install, and cheap (assuming i can find one on ebay, right now there's none)

what about getting something like a ZX-10R of another model year, a ZX-14 or a ZX-6RR? but swapping the spring for something lighter?
You'll want the 06-07 ZX10R shock. ZX10R shocks of other model years have angled reservoirs and do not fit well, whereas the 06-07 reservoir is perpendicular to the shock body and mounts up easily.

ZX14 shock is meant for riders +180 lb. You could put a lighter spring on it, but risk having a shock that is undersprung.

·
Registered
33 Posts
that or i could just start eating more. :bacon:

is the zx14 shock the same minus the spring? i've looked at a couple pics and they look almost identical?

would the SV spring fit on a ZX shock?

·
Registered
594 Posts
that or i could just start eating more. :bacon:

is the zx14 shock the same minus the spring? i've looked at a couple pics and they look almost identical?

would the SV spring fit on a ZX shock?
No. The valving in the ZX-10 shock is almost certainly different than in the ZX-14 shock, based on spring rates of 463 lb.-in. and 543 lb.-in respectively. The length of the ZX-10 shock is 338 mm. while the ZX-14 shock is 330 mm. There is a small difference in the color of the compression adjustment screw (up by the reservoir) - the ZX 10 SE is set in a black surround, the ZX14 adjustment screw is set in a silver surround.

Based on your weight, you should stay away from the ZX-14 shock. Even if you changed the spring to something appropriate, the valving will be too far off.

The stock shock spring is 75 mm I.D. and the ZX shock springs are 82 mm. I.D. The stock spring, if you could get it off, will not physically fit on a ZX shock body, it is too small. Also I recently found out that the ZX springs are tapered on one end.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You may need to custom fab your lower bolt depending how anal you are about yield strength, ect ect.. There isn't, at least not in the great aerospace supplier rich Auburn/Kent/Renton area, a bolt that exactly matches the application aside from many with the ideal shoulder length that are too long.
I just went to the local hardware store and bought a new bolt for the bottom.

See this write up for installation:

http://sv650.metromain.net/index.php?x=zx14_shock

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
No. You remove only the totally unnecessary piece of plastic in front of the tool box, but the tool box remains. Here's Kixx's tip http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133774&highlight=
well you could do that. but in IMO that would look ugly and not clean at all. if you put a hole in the box, it becomes useless so why not just cut the whole thing off? not to mention it would allow more room for your hands if/when you adjust preload.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
No. The valving in the ZX-10 shock is almost certainly different than in the ZX-14 shock, based on spring rates of 463 lb.-in. and 543 lb.-in respectively.
There's a lot more to valving than just spring rate. And for what it's worth, it doesn't really matter what the valving is on either one, cuz the valving for both shocks is wrong for the SV but that hardly stops anybody anyway.

·
Registered
594 Posts
well you could do that. but in IMO that would look ugly and not clean at all. if you put a hole in the box, it becomes useless so why not just cut the whole thing off? not to mention it would allow more room for your hands if/when you adjust preload.
I think you misunderstand, you do not need to touch the toolbox at all, the shock reservoir does not touch it. You only need to remove the plastic piece in front of the toolbox, 3 screws. Here is 92westshady's classic post http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80387&highlight=zx10+shock check out the picture titled "Here is the plastic piece you need to remove"

Repeat - no need to touch the toolbox. It does not need to be cut or altered in any way.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts