1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in:
I'm upgrading my front and rear suspension on my 2020 SV650 ABS.

My new custom Wilbers 640 rear shock arrived from Germany yesterday:

Bottle Drink Wood Glass bottle Bottle cap

Question about preparing the bike to install the rear shock:
I have a front and rear stand now. Do i need a "motorcycle lift" stand under the engine, after I remove the exhaust?

I was thinking about purchasing this:

I don't have "rafters" in my garage or a tall ladder, so I'm wondering if this motorcycle lift is suitable to take the weight off the shock so I can remove it?

Note:
I was relieved that Wilbers already knew about the "threaded" part of the clevis that the lower mounting bolt secures to (with no nut needed). From reading other posts on other shocks, some don't have it.

Also Note:
According to the Wilbers install manual, the way shock should be install is as pictured, with the red Wilbers sticker and "nipple" pointing to the rear of the bike.
This puts the thread on the wrong side, as the bolt inserts from the right to the left.

Question:
I'm hoping the I can just put the top part in a vise and turn the clevis 180 to put the threaded part on the left side. That's how the stock shock is, and how the service manual depicts it anyway.

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Burt

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hung my bike from tiedown straps from the rafters, I first put it on it's pit stand then just lifted it a little with the tiedowns. Motorcycle lift should work or find a garage with rafters. My Nitron shock required a bolt and nut, I inserted the bolt from the shifter side and the nut on the rear brake side. Shouldn't matter which side really.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I have aftermarket rearsets (turning the factory pegs upside down will work the same), lifted the bike on the rear stand, put automotive jack stands under the pegs, and let the rear stand down. Reverse the procedure when done.

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hung my bike from tiedown straps from the rafters, I first put it on it's pit stand then just lifted it a little with the tiedowns. Motorcycle lift should work or find a garage with rafters. My Nitron shock required a bolt and nut, I inserted the bolt from the shifter side and the nut on the rear brake side. Shouldn't matter which side really.
Thanks @wollerms. That's good to know that there's enough room so it doesn't matter. I suppose I could just leave the threaded side on the right side and do as you have.
If I decided to use a vise and turn it 180*, I hope it doesn't harm the shock.

·
Registered
2006 SV650S
76 Posts
I have no direct experience with Wilber shocks, but I'd be concerned about putting a lot of torque on the rebound adjuster mechanism. It would be nice to have some coil spring compressors to remove the tension on the parts. If you don't have them, it might help to back off the spring tensioning rings as far as you can and maybe use a bit of spray grease where there will be some metal-on-metal sliding. Still would be worried about the effect on the rebound adjuster since I have no idea how it's constructed. Good luck.

Auto part Electric blue Machine Tool Engineering

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps ignore all that I just wrote. I just looked at a parts diagram. As 'Woolerms' said - the bolt can be inserted from either side; you shouldn't need to turn the fitting around.
Thanks @Jeff McLellan . This will be the first time I've done this, and I want to make sure I do it correctly, hence my asking for help.
When someone suggested that I could put the top part in a vise, and turn the clevis 180, I didn't even know that was possible w/o damaging my new (expensive) shock.

I'm wondering...
I mentioned how the Wilbers manual says to mount it. (as in picture).
But as I look at the shock, I can't see any different between the "front" and "back". Can't I just turn it around if nothings in the way of that "nipple"? (nothing is).
That puts the thread on the correct side.

·
Registered
2006 SV650S
76 Posts
I'm really not the one to give advice. I'm new to all of this. My guess is that what you are calling a nipple is a set screw for compression damping? If that's what you are referring to, what does the manual say about it. It looks to have some witness marking with paint so perhaps it is set from the factory and does not need to be accessed. Hopefully some of the other people on here who know what the are talking about will wade in. Nice looking shock, BTW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts