Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read over and over that the 636 rear shock is a good one to replace the stock one with. I got 15K on my bike and its time for me to replace it. I am wondering, Does the 636 shock raise the riding position at all? I know you have to cut into the batter box. Has any got any ideas the best way to remount the battery or do you just let it sit there? I am approximately 190 lbs (+/- 10 lbs depending the time of year) WIll this shock do well with my weight? Let me know thanks guys.

·
Registered
505 Posts
636 is just a tad longer (3mm) than the stock '02 SV shock. The spring on the 636 shock would be too soft for my tastes (I weigh the same as you), if you were not riding aggressively you could probably get by with it. For track use it would be too soft. The battery can be raised using some stiff foam to space the battery up slightly. You can also switch to a smaller/lighter battery as well, we use Yuasa YTZ7S batteries on our race bikes.

Here are some rear shock thoughts that we posted on the SVRaceShop web site, might be helpful for you:
http://www.svraceshop.com/SVShockUpgradeFAQ.asp

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a GSX-R be better then? I just dont wanna spend Hundreds. I am not a huge racer so thats why I dont wanna go the aftermarket route

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you're gonna just put it on without any modifications to it, then the 636/ZX10 is probably your best bet. Any of the GSX-R shocks will have too light of a spring and need to be resprung to work on a 1st gen SV for your weight. If you want to have one set up for you, we'd set up one of our "budget" GSX-R shocks sprung and valved correctly for your weight and riding style, which is less than the cost of an aftermarket upgrade but still in the hundreds. It's not cheap but people who have done it seem to think it's worth it. Having a proper suspension setup is not just for racers, it will make your ride smoother and your handling more crisp, we probably sell 75% of our suspension upgrades to street riders. Maybe you'll get lucky and Santa will be good to you this year! ;)

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Basically what Jarel said.

The 636 shock will be worlds better than your worn our stock shock.

It's also sprung heavier than stock, which is good considering your weight.

As far as the battery goes, when I did mine, my battery needed replaced. I replaced it w/ a FZ1 battery, that is taller & thinner, and left the battery where it is supposed to be, and just shimmed down the undertail in the front. Works well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
NHSVnaked said:
Tom Do you know about jetting?
Carbs? Not that much.  I once owned a very well tuned Kawasaki ZRX1200R that I modded with a full Muzzy exhaust system and well tuned DJ jet kit with K&N filter.  That monster pulled my shoulders out of the sockets when I romped on the throttle.  I went with the same set up on my SVS (that is full Muzzy and DJ jet kit w/K&N filter) different bike of course but similar results.  I'm very happy with the motor now, just working on the suspension set up now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts