Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I am a mere laymen when it comes to rear shocks.

I recently got an Elka triple clicker (pics attached) for an absolute steal - it came off a BMW F800ST 2011 model. It's the same length as my stock 330mm SV650S shock.

Only issue is the clevis is about 10mm wider than the SVs 30mm or so. Not too much of a drama though, I can use spacers/washers etc. to widen the availavle space for the dog bones etc?? Can't I??

My main question is, a few suspension shops nearby have all said they can revalve the Elka for my SV650S - is that all it will take to be correctly set up for my bike?

Im happy to get a new spring (havent checked if the one on there is a 525 which is what I need).

But I'm just hoping a revalve/new spring is all I will need and I haven't jumped the gun when it won't work.

Any assistance and I would be tremendously appreciative. Thanks and ride safe!

Circuit component Automotive lighting Cable Electronic component Font
Skateboard deck Skateboard Sports equipment Gas Skateboard truck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also, by spacers/washers I mean that it would widen the distance between the two dog bones meaning the wider clevis would fit more comfortably in the space between.

I just think I may need new bolts and maybe thinner nuts to maximise the space.

Please see diagram below of what I mean

Just hoping someone can help me out! Cheers!

Bicycle part Automotive lighting Font Automotive design Electric blue

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could contact Elka and buy the correct size yoke.
Thanks for the suggestion! I contacted them and they have no parts anymore. I went through their customer service division and they weren't really all that helpful about work arounds etc. Their advice was to sell the shock and get a different one for the SV.

Pretty weird advice if you ask me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe people are holding back from replying cause they think I have made a stupid mistake and the shock won't be able to be converted for the SV?

I won't be offended if that's what you say.

Or maybe, just maybe, everything is going to be alright and my work around will actually fit the bill?

Haha, we will see!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! I contacted them and they have no parts anymore. I went through their customer service division and they weren't really all that helpful about work arounds etc. Their advice was to sell the shock and get a different one for the SV.

Pretty weird advice if you ask me.
You want an answer from people on this forum when you already have the answer from the professionals that made the shock. Anything can be made to work/fit, will it be any better than stock? Try it and see. Will the travel be appropriate for the SV? Is it the same length as stock? If the length is not correct you can compensate with shorter or longer dog bones but that will have an impact on the leverage on the shock, will your local shop compensate for that? The additional leverage on the rubber bushing in the linkage may be detrimental to it's life and will the deflection if any have an impact on the performance on the shock. Only way to know if it's worth it is to do it.

Best of luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the replies. Sadly the response from the "professionals" wasn't that. It was from a customer service rep and they only addressed the issue of replacement parts and a new clevis (not that I technically need one).

The shock is exact same length as stock which helps.

I was more looking for some input as to whether valving/spring are the only thing missing if the shock length/stroke are the same as stock. I just don't see any other variables to a shock that would technically need adaptation to suit a bike, but i'm no expert, hence the seeking advice.

Cheers!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am a complete newbie when it comes to this, but I wonder: if the BMW F800ST specs list almost the same weight as the SV650S, and assuming its rider weight was close to yours, why would a respring/revalve be needed?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anything can be made to work, Fast Bike Industries started with an Ohlins for a full size sport touring bike and turned it into a TTR125 shock, length and stroke were close. He worked for Ohlins for years and has supported racers for decades. You've already said you talked to local shops and they can do the valving, no offense to anyone here but if the professionals say they can do it why ask here? A new clevis can be made by a decent shop, The customer service rep at Elka probably knows more than most people about shocks and what they do. I had an Elka years ago, decent shock but never took off in the US motorcycle market. Is the Elka the correct length? Is the stroke near what the SV has? If the length is close put it on and see what happens, takes less than 30 minutes to change the shock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts