Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03.

Does anyone know of an alternative to the SV Racing rear set adjustable adapter plates? Not to get into it, but I have held them in my hands and am specifically not looking to use the SVR product, so save discussion of that for another thread.

I fabricated something on the same concept for my Husky dual-sport and they came out great, but I don't really want to do that again if I have any off-the-shelf options. It was a PITA and took too long.

I'm specifically looking to get more space between the seat and pegs, as I'm 6'4", so I'm actually looking to drop the pegs. Don't want to be as far extra out as the Buell pegs, and would also like to have them move toward the rear.

I was thinking Vortex rear sets and swap the plates left to right, but a good friend and former SV owner who is also a damn good machinist talked me out of it. I've looked at other quality rear sets, and not found any that look like they'd have the same alternative installation option.

Anyone?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-...-SV650-SV650S-2002-/230816552177#ht_634wt_946

For future reference after that auction goes away, seller is Japanese Boy Motorcycle Parts. Made in Japan (they say). Apparent craftsmanship is significantly superior to SVR, and they are thicker, so more thread engagement. Not as many choices on position, though.

UP/BACK 3mm/15mm

13mm/15mm

23mm/15mm

2017 aluminum in T4 condition is actually usefully better than 6061-T6, which I would consider good enough for the application.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up just making my own plates. Had the material, had the tools. Used a letter Q bit for the clearance holes, which is a nice close fit on an M8 bolt, unlike the 3/8-in SVRP uses. Then I used flange-head bolts from a Toyota or Honda in the junkyard instead of the SHCS, so there's actual clamping surface without broaching the bolt head into the plates. Used a coupling nut from the hardware store and a chunk of fully threaded bolt to extend the shift linkage. Had all the hardware just sitting around so long I consider it free.

Moved the pegs straight back 22mm to start. It's actually a pretty good improvement. Will ride it in the morning. Several more sets of holes are laid out on the brackets and center punched, but I left drilling and tapping them until I'm ready to try each location.

Every once in awhile, Goldilocks turns out to still be a cheap date.

·
Registered
493 Posts
For future reference , You can use 03 sv650 N peg mounts and they drop the pegs about an inch and also move them forward about 2 inches. They fit the 03 sv1000s too :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moved the pegs straight back 22mm to start. It's actually a pretty good improvement. Will ride it in the morning. Several more sets of holes are laid out on the brackets and center punched, but I left drilling and tapping them until I'm ready to try each location.
I went straight back another 12mm, and that seems to be just about perfect. Cut a longer bolt for a longer shift rod extension, all dialed in. Got the shifter action just right, took a long ride and had no issues. Knees and thighs fit around the tank comfortably and let me grip it securely.

After I live with these for awhile, I'll probably pick up some gixxer rear sets and make adapters to put the pegs in the same location. The final plates will be a lot more compact, so I'll probably swallow the weight and make them out of steel to be sure they are bomb-proof. The gixxer rear sets incorporate mounts for the light switch and return spring rather than connecting them to the frame, so there's no need to figure out some adaptation or extension.

In the mean time, I picked up some '06 gixxer pegs for cheap and swapped them in place of the rubber ones. The OE ones are forged, so it should be easy to tell them from the Chinese imitations on fleabay. Shorter for better lean angles, and grippy without risking tearing up my boots. Look good, look OE. Also lighter. Good call.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts