Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never go 2 up on my 03 SV and was thinking about getting a rear seat tail cover. My question is ?How secure/stable are they?? What I was thinking about doing was purchasing a Suzuki rear seat cover and modifying it by attaching a small rack directly to the top. This would better allow me to stabilize cargo.

Reason being, my other bike is a BMW R1200GS, the one with the big rack on back and I absolutely love having that big rack on back. Its amazing the varied amount of crap I have carried on the back of that bike. It allows me to ride the bike when I would otherwise drive my truck. Although the GS is a wonderful bike and a blast to ride, it is a bit of a pain to commute daily due to it mass and seat height. Where as the SV is a blast to commute but lacks storage space.

What do you all think, would the seat cover be strong enough to mount a rack and not compromise safety or is there a much better solution out there. Note: I am currently using a tail bag from a previous bike which I mount to the rear seat with straps from under the seat and Velcro. This is Ok for light stuff but not really safe for heavier stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have a tail cover and it is plastic, so, IMO, I would not buy it for the purpose you are asking about.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not having a seat cowl but just suspecting, I don't know that they are that strong. I don't believe they are designed to support weight...especially the fiberglass ones. But I dunno. Just my thoughts.

J

·
0 Posts
I cant comment since Ive never done this.  However i would not do it.  Maybe i just try to air on the side of safety however i do not believe it would be secure enough or strong enough.  Just my 2cp worth however someone else may chime up that it works great.  Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
i would get another seat and rip the foam off, then mount the rack to that, it should be stronger than the rear cowl
this is probably your best bet. use the base of the passenger seat as your mounting point. then fabricate the rack you're looking for onto that

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thejimdaddy said:
i would get another seat and rip the foam off, then mount the rack to that, it should be stronger than the rear cowl
Sound like a great idea.   If its strong enough for a passenger, it should be strong enough for sum junk ;)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
+1

I bought a rear seat in MINT condition on this board for $35 shipped. If you plan to rip the cover off anyway, you could probably find one on ebay with a rip in it for even cheaper (I've seen them there!).

I plan to attach one of these to mine...I'll have a quick release hard top case on the cheap! Another member of this message board recommended it, he said it's waterproof and he's been using it for 4 years, so it must be durable too.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2002510/showCustom-0/p-2002510/N-111+10211+600002996/c-10111

1 - 8 of 8 Posts