Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier in the week I had the tail off, and disconnected the rear seat release cable to do so. I put the tail all back together but forget to connect the release cable back up (Ooops!).

In my excitement to go out riding today I just threw on the rear seat and off I went. Now I have the rear seat locked on the bike and the key won't unlock it because the cable is not hooked up to the release mechanism.

Does anyone know how I would go about taking off my rear seat before and I go start breaking things??

·
Registered
334 Posts
pull off the rier seat adn reach back there... ii dont know if you remember how it works or not; but its a plasticy knob in the middle and it pulls toward the side with the sprockets.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
That the drivers seat off and squeeze your hand in there to pull the cable. If the cable is disconnect from the top and not the lock, you're going to have a hard time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
find a sturdy 1/8" rod. I used something from a wire shelf that had a 1/3" 90* bend, although you could jimmy a wire clothes hanger.

You're going to want to make a L shape with the rod. Come in from the left (clutch) side of the pillion seat, finding the latch. It helps to look at pictures on what the latch system looks like. Hook it into where the cable ball release goes into, thats what you'll pull out, away from the bike.

As the key turns, the cable pulls shorter, releasing the mechanism.

I did the same thing mid last season. You don't have to remove any fairings!

If you're having troubles with the explanation, I can try posting a vid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its nice to know I'm in good company with my mistakes!

You're saying to slip the rod in between the gap between the rear seat and the fairing right and to fish for the latch correct? Just so I have everything right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup, there's enough room between the seat and fairings. A good tip is to mark the rod so you know where the L bend is, so you can hook it much easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just wanted to say thanks to Toezter for the info. I disconnected my cable release, then accidently put the seat back on, about 2 weeks ago. I made a little hook from a cloths hanger (following Toezter's post), and got it open in no time!

·
Registered
161 Posts
add one more, I just got into to the same boat yesterday. I'm going to try the hook method today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts