Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Coolio, another thread to watch. I was planning some fiberglass layup to patch the holes left from the grab bar, rear hanger, taillight and rear seat, but the idea of 3D printing (maybe not the seat cowl) is appealing. Perhaps I will play with this before getting all sticky with fiberglass resin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Holy cow you rock. First time I've tried 3D printing but I found a local hub with a quote for $21. Will post with what happens!

There are aftermarket cowls without the filler brackets on eBay for under $50 now... color match is poor and fit is only okay, but if you aren't fixated on precision...and have paint... it can work. Gotta paint the filler anyhow right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, the first set that I got the holder was very, very brittle. PETG, 200 micron, 25% infill, but the print was such that the layers corresponded with the weakest part of the holder---the part where the horizontal hold-down tab connects to the vertical riser. I broke one the first time I touched it. The very nice hub operator (Yun of BelRed's 3D Hub, from 3D Hubs) reprinted the holders for free with a changed orientation so the layers were at 90 degrees. They are definitely stronger, but I'm wondering if the following improvements are worth considering:

-make riser and hold-down tab parts of the holder both significantly thicker
-radius the curve between the riser and the hold-down tab

I don't have the tools or the skills to do these design changes. I asked the hub operator about it but this particular hub doesn't do design.

Plan to install tomorrow and will see how they work on the bike!

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Zynex's link to his files is dead, could someone re-upload it please ?

ok, so it's finally all complete.
*I can't post link, my account is to young haha* (new dropbox link with updated files)

you will need:
4x m4x10
4x m4 nut
8x m4 washer

print all items upright for the best finish/easiest printing. There is a slot in the back for the nut that has some play so you can adjust the infills perfectly.

I hope everybody enjoys it and good luck printing. ;) Thanks again MEngineer for the base model.

In the dropbox are also more pictures:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Zynex's link to his files is dead, could someone re-upload it please ?

^^ I second this.
I took them down, because it was starting to become really annoying to deal with those assh**es that don't contribute anything and just steal stuff. Some of them even insulted me.

Especially a guy named 'Grant Gibson'. He just stole the design without giving credit. Sold it on several places and told people that he designed it himself and used pictures of my bike. After telling that to him, he insulted me several times and said that the design was bad, so he would make his own.

Now he did:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3d-print...945518?hash=item3d65fae12e:g:tJEAAOSwbbdbA7fA

Definetly his own design....He just stole it again and made minor changes so that eBay wouldn't take it down again. But he barely changed anything. (only a little part of the holder. And the funny thing is...He is printing the holder the wrong side up....:lmao: So it will be very weak....

i also made changes to the design (made it a little better) and updated the dropbox, but i didn't want to deal with this anymore. So, if you really want it, you can send me a pm and i will send you the stl's. I just hope that people respect the amount of effort that went ito this by me and also MEngineer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dude, mad respect for you contributing to the community and putting it out there for people to use... FREE OF CHARGE.

That's a big deal, especially in today's world of 'grab the $ and run'.

I will msg you immediately about this.
Thank you for continuing to offer this design to people. You're a bigger man than 'Grant Gibson' is.

Sympul

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I decided to re-upload the files. You can find them with the instructions/manual on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3101936

Please don't use them commercially, but feel free to ask questions. Also it would be great if you show pictures of them on your bike or just leave a comment. :)

Any donations are greatly appreciated.

Finally someone filled the gap! :eek:ccasion14: Any chance you can make one for a 2002 (Gen1) sv650?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do have a paypal account or something if people want to donate?
Hopefully it is all to your liking when it is fitted. I will maybe make some more small perfections in the future, but for now it fills the gap really fine. ;)
If you want you can always send me a message for a PayPal adress or you can go to the thingiverse site and press the donate button there.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3101936

Finally someone filled the gap! :eek:ccasion14: Any chance you can make one for a 2002 (Gen1) sv650?
I actually don't have acces to an first gen sv, but that is not a problem since
another svrider member called Fred67 actually already made a version for the first gen. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3027204 :eek:ccasion14:

81 - 100 of 104 Posts