Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 2000 sv650 a few months ago and I’ve had to do some minor work to it but now I’m stuck. I was riding the other day and it just shut off and would turn over but wouldn’t actually start no matter what I did. So I swapped the plugs and sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs through the air box and it started right up no problem. But I took it for a spin and as soon as I hit WOT the rear cylinder cut off. It’ll come on here and there but for the most part it’s been only running on the front cylinder. I took the air filter out and sprayed a little more carb cleaner in and it started up fine without the filter but as soon as I put the air filter back in, I’m back to a sv325. The spark is strong and prior to these issues it pulled like a bat out of hell so I’m lost. Do y’all have any ideas?

·
Registered
912 Posts
A possible cause is the Choke Plungers.Do a forum search for Choke Plungers. They are a common fault on the older Carby SVs as they can get corroded inside with lack of maintenance and then choke the cylinder. In your case you might be lucky as the rear one is usually better protected and it's the front one that gets the most corrosion.

The JIS screws that hold the lock-plate can be seized on requiring the Carbs to come off and even have to be carefully drilled out(Left hand Drill bit/s Start small then correct size). If you haven't already buy a Quality JIS(Japanese Industry Standard) Screwdriver as the Fasteners on Japanese Motorcycles are,"Not" Phillips-Head" screws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A possible cause is the Choke Plungers.Do a forum search for Choke Plungers. They are a common fault on the older Carby SVs as they can get corroded inside with lack of maintenance and then choke the cylinder. In your case you might be lucky as the rear one is usually better protected and it's the front one that gets the most corrosion.

The JIS screws that hold the lock-plate can be seized on requiring the Carbs to come off and even have to be carefully drilled out(Left hand Drill bit/s Start small then correct size). If you haven't already buy a Quality JIS(Japanese Industry Standard) Screwdriver as the Fasteners on Japanese Motorcycles are,"Not" Phillips-Head" screws.
Alrighty I’ll check those here shortly. At idle both cylinders are on but as soon as throttle is applied the rear shuts down, so that may be the issue actually. Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts