Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as if my rear cylinder is eating the plugs. Went through 2 this week. The plugs are not burnt at all they just quit firing. Any thoughts on this? Fighting the first street bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I might suggest to switch the coils and see if the front cylinder behaves in the same manner and the rear stops. What happens if you install the "eaten" plugs into the front cylinder? See if they fire. Seems like a coil problem, not a plug problem or at least a problem with the firing signal to the rear plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once the plug has been eaten it will no longer fire in the other cylinder. I will try switching coils and see. Something it messing up the internal the plug and I have never seen plugs just go out like this.

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
It sounds like the rear is fouling the plug.

Is the bike new to you? Did this just start suddenly? Is the oil over full? Does the plug look wet when you take it out? If you clean the plug with contact cleaner and blow off with compressed air, does it come back to life? How does the bike run before the rear quits? Sorry, lots of questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the bike is new to me. The plug that was in the bike was in there about a week and then it was toast. The next plug lasted a day and a half and now they last about 10 minutes of ride time. Once the plugs are done, no amount of cleaning is bringing them back. The plug itself still looks fine but something internal is going bad in the plug I guess. When the plug starts the go, the bike will go from firing fine to one cylinder then spark off the second cylinder for maybe 30 seconds then you are stuck with a 1 cylinder wonder. I will try the coil switch and see if maybe that determines I have a coil frying the internals, but I have never seen that happen like this.

Thanks for the help,

LWILLIAMS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts