Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short: I had a shop work on my brakes and carbs before I rode my curvy from Chicago to Denver (Iron Butt anyone?). On the way, during the last 150 miles, the rear brakes went limp.

I've replaced the master and installed a new SS brake line since the old one looked beat. Still can't build up pressure.

At this point, I'm wondering: Is there a rear caliper upgrade? Didn't Zoran or someone make a bracket so you can hang a nicer caliper on the rear wheel of the curvy? I figure if I'm replacing everything, I may as well just upgrade, or at least go lighter...since I've been away from the forums for....years, I'm not sure what's out there any longer, or who even still supports the Gen 1.

If all else fails, I guess I need to find a good stock caliper if anyone has one.

Thanks in advance!

·
very big dumb
8,589 Posts
just rebuild it. it's not hard to do.

nobody made a rear caliper upgrade cause nobody gives a flying f*** about the rear brake

·
Super Moderator
6,936 Posts
So, long story short: I had a shop work on my brakes and carbs before I rode my curvy from Chicago to Denver (Iron Butt anyone?). On the way, during the last 150 miles, the rear brakes went limp.

I've replaced the master and installed a new SS brake line since the old one looked beat. Still can't build up pressure.

At this point, I'm wondering: Is there a rear caliper upgrade? Didn't Zoran or someone make a bracket so you can hang a nicer caliper on the rear wheel of the curvy? I figure if I'm replacing everything, I may as well just upgrade, or at least go lighter...since I've been away from the forums for....years, I'm not sure what's out there any longer, or who even still supports the Gen 1.

If all else fails, I guess I need to find a good stock caliper if anyone has one.

Thanks in advance!
What did the shop do to the brakes?

Has the caliper been cleaned, lubed, and had new seals installed? Does it leak anywhere?

How are you bleeding it?

The rear brake on my '06 went away a while ago without notice. Replaced the fluid and did a thorough bleeding and it's been fine for more than a year. I find that the old "pump and hold" method of bleeding works better than using something like a MightyVac to draw fluid out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what the shop did to the brakes - they charged $250 for it, so I assumed they replaced the caliper. I just needed it road safe for the 1000 mile transport to my new home...but that's all in the past, I'm basically assuming they did jack and charged me for it, so I'm starting fresh.

I haven't rebuilt the caliper. I can't bleed it, because it's not building pressure. If I completely remove the bleed valve I can make fluid spunk out a little bit, but I can't actually build pressure. I don't see any leaks. I suppose there is a chance the new master isn't building enough pressure, but assuming the new master is good that probably means a leak at the caliper.

·
very big dumb
8,589 Posts
I haven't rebuilt the caliper. I can't bleed it, because it's not building pressure. If I completely remove the bleed valve I can make fluid spunk out a little bit, but I can't actually build pressure. I don't see any leaks. I suppose there is a chance the new master isn't building enough pressure, but assuming the new master is good that probably means a leak at the caliper.
there are 2 bleed nipples on the 1g caliper. if you dont bleed with both (one at a time obv), you'll have air somewhere in there.
also it takes about 30-50 pumps to build any kind of pressure.
if you have little drips coming out with one of the nipples out that's what you should expect.

i use the method of
pump (30x) - hold the pedal - open bleeder - close bleeder - release pedal - pump

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Mad, I forgot about the valve on the backside of the caliper. I'll run through the whole bleed process again going from front valve to back valve and see if I can't build any pressure.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Not b racket, just spacers to mount Ducati 749/999 caliper and bracket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don’t use the back brake. But I can think of two things that I have run into. I put in a new set of rear pads and then I bedded them. When I bedded them I screwed up and glazed the pads and no amount of pressure would give grip to the rotor. Glazed pads are easy to replace. Second is the master cylinder under the rear seat. Seal failure.

But I rarely, rarely ever even touch the back brake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts