Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 SV650s with just over 800 miles, when I use the rear brakes I can hear a squeak which sounds like the brakes are worn down and some metal is scraping the rotor. I dont believe that the brake pads would have worn down in a few miles. Anyone else experience anything similar, what can I do to diagnose this problem other than taking the brake pad out (which I have no experience doing).
Tanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
My 05 "did" it on front and rear REAL LOUD. Take your break apart and bevel the edges of the pad with a file and I cleaned the back part of the metal and cleaned other parts with sand paper. Both front and rear squeaked on mine. I did it to the front and it stopped the squeak 99 percent. I probably could of done it slightly harder and it would have made it go away 100 percent. I just have to do back break now. I had 5k miles on it and just couldnt wait for winter to take it to a dealer.

Best bet is prolly to take it to the dealer as 05s are still under warranty.

P.S. The pins come out super easy. Be smart about how you take the pin out, as I broke mine on one side. <----noob :)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You can see the wear indicator (groove cut into the pads) without removing the pads.

If you do remove the pads have some disk brake anti-squeal past ready. Put a light coating on the backs of the pads wherever they contact the calipers. You can buy the paste at any auto parts store, about a buck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine does it too. I usually get on the back brake kinda hard a few times and it goes away. Not skidding hard, but just a good, firm pressure.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds ike they could be glazed over, motorcross brakes will do the same thing if you ride them a lot and they get overheated. Make a mental note and make sure your foot isn't riding just slighlty on the brake pedal also. Quick way to fix a glaze is take it off and rub it across concrete a few times to rough up the surface of the pad and then wipe off and residue. Wear indicators are there for a reason don't remove them. Your pads aren't that low yet and if they are your are keeping your foot on the pedal :p. If you do remove them you should try some of the antisquel paste, like a car pads sometimes squek where it rest up against the caliper.

·
Registered
397 Posts
rear brakes?!?!?! WE HAVE REAR BRAKES?!?!?! HAHAHHAHA!!! just apply a lil bit of oil on the pads and you'll be fine. I fixed my problem like that. Its better to have the rear brakes a lil slippery anywayz, you don't wanna lock up your rear now do ya? ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
oil?? do not think that would be a wise decision?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts