Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put on some home made rearset extender brackets giving me the same issue as you... Relocate the mount for the brake switch to the master cylinder. Its an easy mod and can be done in roughly 30 minutes for a factory look and perfect spacing!

Step 1: Remove the bracket thingy...
up inside the main frame there is a screw that holds the brake switch mounting thingy (the circle tab lshaped thingy). Remove it and dont throw it away!

Step2: Make it do Yoga.....
Ok - First thing - Flatten the existing bracket using a vice so you end up with a single straight piece of metal. if you are using the same location as me - you simply need to bend in a slight curve without twisting it. You can also use a pair of vice grips or channel locks but its still a pain - its keeping it straight that is difficult. Put it sideways in a vice (jaws holding the thin sides) and whack the hell out of it until you get a nice short even bend. Reflatten it (leavingthe bend in) for the next piece. The purpose of this is to make the bracket clear the cylinder when we bend it back towards the center of the bike. One it has sufficient clearance - check the fit to make sure your bend is sufficient.

Step 3: Bend to come between the 2 bolts to the center of the bike.

Step 4: About 1/2" in from there - make another bend to make it go verticle.

(check fitmet to ensure you have the clearance you need.

Step 5: Just past the hole for the switch, place another 90* bend towards the center of the bike - Thsi should be perpendicular with the brake foot lever or the ground.

Step 6: Bolt it all back together, then we'll adjust the spring.

SPRING Adjustment:
Use 2 pair of needle nose to put a new curve in the long end of the spring that allows the switch to have zero load or maybe just enough tension to prevent rattling.

Connect the spring to the actuator pole and to the same place as the foot lever spring - try it out - Here is a pic of mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put on some home made rearset extender brackets giving me the same issue as you... Relocate the mount for the brake switch to the master cylinder. Its an easy mod and can be done in roughly 30 minutes for a factory look and perfect spacing!

Step 1: Remove the bracket thingy...
up inside the main frame there is a screw that holds the brake switch mounting thingy (the circle tab lshaped thingy). Remove it and dont throw it away!

Step2: Make it do Yoga.....
Ok - First thing - Flatten the existing bracket using a vice so you end up with a single straight piece of metal. if you are using the same location as me - you simply need to bend in a slight curve without twisting it. You can also use a pair of vice grips or channel locks but its still a pain - its keeping it straight that is difficult. Put it sideways in a vice (jaws holding the thin sides) and whack the hell out of it until you get a nice short even bend. Reflatten it (leavingthe bend in) for the next piece. The purpose of this is to make the bracket clear the cylinder when we bend it back towards the center of the bike. One it has sufficient clearance - check the fit to make sure your bend is sufficient.

Step 3: Bend to come between the 2 bolts to the center of the bike.

Step 4: About 1/2" in from there - make another bend to make it go verticle.

(check fitmet to ensure you have the clearance you need.

Step 5: Just past the hole for the switch, place another 90* bend towards the center of the bike - Thsi should be perpendicular with the brake foot lever or the ground.

Step 6: Bolt it all back together, then we'll adjust the spring.

SPRING Adjustment:
Use 2 pair of needle nose to put a new curve in the long end of the spring that allows the switch to have zero load or maybe just enough tension to prevent rattling.

Connect the sprint to the actuator pole and to the same place as the foot lever spring - try it out - Here is a pic of mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts