Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Novice question incoming......
I'm fairly new to biking and have a K4 Sv650s in blue. I have just recently cleaned the calipers and pistons and while doing so changed all the brake pads. When fitting the pads on the rear and setting all the torques on the bolts to the correct level I thought I'd press the brake to check everything was as it should be and noticed that the caliper moves slightly when I press the brake, I am just wondering if this is normal? All the bolts are torqued correctly and everything fitted properly, the movement is only very slight but I'm unsure if it should move at all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Normal, if you can get the rear wheel off the ground, spin the wheel and press the rear brake pedal. Try going slowly and use the rear brake; everything's likely fine, there is slight movement in calipers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but is it normal to not see retraction from the caliper when you've got new pads. Pretty much I'm trying to compare my caliper performance with the caliper from this youtube video.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't really understand your question. If the pads are new you will need to push the piston back into the caliper to mount, then pump the brake, the piston will extend until the pad touches the rotor. If the pads are dragging on the rotor you likely need to clean the piston and perhaps remove the piston like they did in the video. If there is only minor drag and the brakes work everting is probably ok. The pad does not retract from the rotor, will always be almost touching.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't really understand your question. If the pads are new you will need to push the piston back into the caliper to mount, then pump the brake, the piston will extend until the pad touches the rotor. If the pads are dragging on the rotor you likely need to clean the piston and perhaps remove the piston like they did in the video. If there is only minor drag and the brakes work everting is probably ok. The pad does not retract from the rotor, will always be almost touching.
That is exactly what I was looking for.

Basically I was concerned about my brake caliper piston not retracting like in the video when I release pressure from the rear brake pedal.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
I don’t see the piston retracting in the video. I think they just don’t apply pressure once you release the master cylinder and they always drag a little. Or maybe the suction of the MC releasing should actually pull it back further. :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts