Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: Sorry for such a simple question, but what size is the rear axle nut? I used a big crescent wrench when I adjusted the chain yesterday but "pull hard" isn't exactly a torque setting!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone know the M designation and thread pitch of the Gen3 axle nut? My calipers measure the threaded part of the axle itself at about M20. The nut seized when I was trying to remove the rear wheel. After trying everything to get it off, I finally had to cut it off with a dremel. I don't trust these nuts and I'm looking for an alternative. But I can't find the specs of the nut in the factory service manual.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
The nuts are fine, but should be put on with some anti-seize on the threads.
The torque spec for the gen 1s was too high, I don't know about the 3rd gens.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The nuts are fine, but should be put on with some anti-seize on the threads.
The torque spec for the gen 1s was too high, I don't know about the 3rd gens.
The nut spec is M20, 1.5. I bought a couple of standard hex nuts from Amazon, stainless steel, no outer metal flange. I'll see how it goes. The stock nut seized just as the metal flange reached the end of the axle when unscrewing. There was no corrosion or rust on the axle threads. I don't think anti-seize would have helped here, and I had never taken the nut all the way off before, only loosened it to adjust the chain. I do agree that the torque spec of 100Nm (74 lb-ft) is high. I went with 72Nm this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts