6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current setup...
HMF Engineering full exhaust system
BMC Race filter
03 cam swap
Factory jet kit
Tank spacers

The instructions in the kit reccomend that with the BMC and full system to use 160 main jet on the front and 162.5 on the rear, 17.5 low speed jest, needle set to the 4th clip and 3 turns on the idle screws. 
This is how I set it up and I'm running lean!  :eek:
The largest jets I have are 162.5 for the front and 165 for the rear... hopefully that'll be close "enough".
Anybody running bigger jets or do I have the biggest?  ;D

My last setup was 150 mains, 2 shims on the needles and de-snorkled OEM filter.  It worked well.
When I did the cam swap I was lean so I swapped to a de-snorkled K&N and that was close. 

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
165 main on the front and 162.5 on the rear... runs like a raped ape (as they say) but the plugs still come out like new. I guess I'll have to try some 167.5 and 170+. I'm not looking forward to seeing my mileage now :-\
BUT THE POWER!!!

K

·
0 Posts
have fun dam thats big jets.
ur gonna be gettin around 5 or 10 mpg haha

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I'm running 170DJs... But I suppose your Miks are effectively bigger than those. Is that the open topped BMC or the snorkelled one?

Don't worry about fuel economy, you should get better mileage with your bike jetted right than you would with it running inefficiently.

K

·
0 Posts
that just doesnt sound right
i dont know to much about carbs and jets.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Northwind said:
I'm running 170DJs... But I suppose your Miks are effectively bigger than those. Is that the open topped BMC or the snorkelled one?

Don't worry about fuel economy, you should get better mileage with your bike jetted right than you would with it running inefficiently.
The filter is the BMC race model with open top. I'm very impressed with the design, the opening is as large as possible while still using the OEM airbox... it's very light too.

Yes, I'm using Mikuni jets. I know the DJ's are different which is why I stayed away from them. I haven't seen any conclusinve cross-refferences either :-\

With the stock exhaust, de-snorkled OEM filter and 150 main jets I was getting 44mpg on average. I was still getting over 40mpg with the cam swap but there's no way I'll be in the 40's any more. If I can get high 30's I'll be very happy. Running the veggie oil in the Diesel has made me rather unhappy with giving up my $$$ to oil companies :mad:

The bike pulls hard, very hard (also has 14 tooth front sprocket). I have no doubt I could wheelie in second now!! I can't wait to get some bigger jets and see how much more I can squeeze out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I was running the 152.5's before the cam swap. Now... I have to run 160's. I haven't seen the need to mix the jets for street riding, for racing sure. The plugs come out good with the "fatter" plugs out back.

With the 03/02 cam swap you're now pulling in more air.... now increase those jets. Mileage for me so far hasn't suffered a bit... depending on my ham fistedness...

·
Registered
47 Posts
full micron system, bmc filter 205/10 with the small hole. currently running dynojet needle on 4th clip, stock pilots, 152.5 mains. It's way too lean-doesn't want to rev anymore above 7k. what should I run for mains? I have a set of 165's, 162.5's and 160's.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hittman said:
full micron system, bmc filter 205/10 with the small hole.  currently running dynojet needle on 4th clip, stock pilots, 152.5 mains.  It's way too lean-doesn't want to rev anymore above 7k.  what should I run for mains?  I have a set of 165's, 162.5's and 160's.
You should drfinitely start with 2.5 turns on the A/F screws and 17.5 pilot jets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts