Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has been bugging me to help him buy his first motorcycle and a deal on a sv popped up. A 2005 sv650s and the guy was asking three grand. I ended up offering him two grand and he was so happy about it that it left me feeling like I paid too much for the bike. Please let me know what you think based on the pros and cons that i had to consider.

First the bad;

The bike was crashed twice
The bike was stored outside a lot
Slightly tweaked fairing stay
Slghtly bent left clipon
It would randomly lose electrical power at idle and shut down (I knew this was the green connector of death)
The low beams didn't work
Trace amounts of rust here and there including a small amount around the filler cap inside the gas tank
Slight bend in the lip of the rear wheel,holds air fine
It is missing the upper cowel dash trim
Some broken tabs on the headlight
Broken mount on the radiator
The body shop who repaired the bike painted the frame oddly below the tank on both sides. No evidence of sanding or repair they just painted it a glossy black. No evidence of.scratches underneath and its light enough that I can see the Oem black coat.

Now the good;

Clean NYS title
10,500 miles
Oem rear hugger
Oem lower fairings
New front and rear tires
New battery
Fresh professional paint job in pearl black
Forks are straight
The body shop this guy took it to modified a 2003 gsxr 600 tail to fit the sv it looks really nice and has a hot bodies undertail. I love differentiation so this was a nice upside for me.
there are no scratches or dents on the plastics or tank
Nice chopped yoshi slip

What I have done so far;

Changed the oil
Changed the coolant
Changed spark plugs
Fixed the green connector of death (which fixed the idle electrical shut down)
I still have to fix the low beam for inspection.

So what do you think? Did I get screwed for $2000 ? It kills me because when I offered.him $2000 the look in his eyes told me he would have taken way less. I should have pretended to not know about the green connector of death and made a bigger deal on the rust. I could have talked him down to 1600 prolly but I didn't realize it until after the transaction. I will post up pics of the bike ASAP.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
to be honest... from experience, two crashes are nothing if they did not do major damage and the bike is in perfect working order.

2k I think is good if the BIG things are ok. 10k is low miles. Is it worth it to you?

If it hasn't been crashed he'd probably want 4g.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Does it ride well? Does it shift smooth and easy? Does it sound right at all speeds and idle? Does it make good power? How did the oil and coolant look?

At a certain point you have to trust your judgement. If the bike is sound 2K is a great price. Just remember to sell it in spring, not fall.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
No use beating yourself up or second guessing over something you've already done. Sounds like a solid bike and you've already addressed the relatively minor issues with it. Maybe help your brother out with some upgrades if you're feeling really guilty about it. Realistically you may have been able to work him down what... another $500?

It's only money.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sooo....where are the pics?
:needpics: (someone had to pull this f*cker out... someone always does)

Having put my SV on its side THREE times, my baby still looks like 4500 bucks, if you got that for 2k, with 10,5 on the motor, if nothing serious is hurt...... :rock: It'll still be breaking in!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the price. Maybe he was just tired of it taking up room and you were the first person to call in a while that seemed interested. Or maybe he has bills/ debts to pay asap. Or maybe he's moving onto another toy... Or hell, maybe you just intimidated him! Whatever the case, sounds like a solid buy.

Like SDRider said, maybe you couldve gotten it for *a little* less, but who cares? Your bro is happy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
These are from my phone ill get better ones up soon;

Sounds to me like you got a reasonable deal. I would snap that up for 2000.

On the other hand, that rear-end looks dog awful in my opinion. That needs to go! Maybe try the R1 tail? or just back to OEM. Either way, you could help your bro out with that. ;)

That seat looks like it going to pop off, and the tail light looks like a sticker.

·
Registered
322 Posts
it still sounds pretty trashed to me at such low mileage. At that age and mileage, my bike was still pristine and I dont consider myself anal at all.

It amazes me how people do not know to take care of their things.

·
Registered
70 Posts
First things first..lose the rear

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The tail IS one of the best parts on the 2nd gen imo, but if you guys dig the mod then don't worry about what others think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts