Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving to work on 80W in NJ this morning. I got up over the hill in Denville and what pops out from under the car in front of me? A whole, circular re-tread from a semi! I cant swerve, no time so I am going over. It hits the front wheel and sends it veering off to the side. Then it whales my left leg and rips it off the peg. Then it hits the rear tire and hops it off the ground and a little sideways. Once it is past me I concentrate on getting the bike straight, left leg dangling. I get the bike straight (super lucky) and go to put my foot back on and what's this? NO PEG! The tread ripped my left peg clear off and it is dangling down the side by the now super bent shift lever! So I pull it over and proceed to wait while Swampy comes to save me. Then some a-hole troopers pull up and proceed to yell at me for pulling over to the left (no shoulder on the right mind you) and being in a dangerous spot. He starts complaining that my friend is taking too long and wants to call a wrecker. I get him to hold off and Swampy arrives and we load up and leave. So I had to ride the backup 1981 Suzuki to work this morning.
Overall damage: Left rearset triangle is sheared. Shift linkage is bent.

Does anyone have either part for sale? I gave my old spares to another SV rider that went down on a group ride a while back.
Thanks,
ac

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dude, that sucks!

What exactly do you mean by left rearset triangle?  Do you mean the heel guard?

Let me know as I have both of my old heel guards if you need them.

Good save...stoopid trooper!

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
...... and that is one of the reasons I dont do interstates......

By the way.... a biker died about a month ago on Rt80 in that area from a retread. And that is also the area I had my major auto accident with the 2 motorcycles, last October.... the weekend I was doing my MSF course.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Good job staying upright...

The peg/lever/rod/guard assembly you are looking for: Year/gen ? S or N?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Nice save. Were you riding in the L or R-third of your lane (i.e., in the L or R wheel track of the car in front of you)?    If not, then maybe that situation could have been avoided, and the most that would've happened would be you cursing in your helmet being grateful you weren't in the middle of your lane.  I'm sure you already know that one of the wheel tracks is the safe place to ride b/c that's where the least debris is.   ;)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need a 1st Gen S rearset triangle. It is the piece with the two bolts to the frame and the peg bolts through.

I was in the left side of the lane...but it wouldnt have mattered. There was a car to the right, and the car in front literally kicked the tread up in the air. It was the WHOLE truck tire tread. Fully in circle. When I went past it the second time I saw it on the side. Apparently I ripped it! I didnt want to swerve because I knew I was going to hit it. I figured if I swerved it probably would have thrown me off. I make a flash decision that over was the best. I think I made the right choice! Hell, I am alive to talk about it!

Thanks,
ac

·
Registered
397 Posts
did you catch the trucker's plates or company? You shoulda sued his ass for not securing his shiet down...Glad your aight.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
no, the retread didn't almost kill you, YOU almost kiled you

following to close can be disaterous, this time it was a retread that appeard out of nowhere, next time? a deer?
keep 3 seconds separation, you should have plenty of time to avoid road hazards

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
RandyO said:
no, the retread didn't almost kill you, YOU almost kiled you

following to close can be disaterous, this time it was a retread that appeard out of nowhere, next time? a deer?
keep 3 seconds separation, you should have plenty of time to avoid road hazards
[Ace Venture] loooser [/Ace Ventura]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Those things always make me nervous. Thankfully I haven't had any near run in's. But I always wondered what would happen if I was passing a semi on the freeway and one of those tires shot out and nailed me. I always try to get around those semi's as fast as possible.

Yep, I'm a chicken..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Normally, keeping a safe following distance will save you.  Recently I have been trying to ride to the left or right of traffic in front of me, so that I can actually see the road a good 50 to 70 yards ahead of me.

Last group ride I went on up through the mountains of NC and TN a big white SUV blasts past us on the highway and gets right in our lane not even 15ft in front of us.  Not 3 seconds later it runs over the biggest peice of retread I've ever seen.  Barely anytime to react as it flies up and at the five of us..  The two guys ahead of me swerve erratically and I follow one of them.  We all made it through okay, but scared the hell out of me.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Just be thankful it didn't take off your leg. I've had one rip my leg open before (with over pants on). A car to the right hit it and flung it towards me... No where for me to go.

For that part, check out the race list or the WEAR board.

·
Registered
722 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
[Ace Venture] loooser [/Ace Ventura]
No, he's right, but not very tactful about it.  

IMO, 3 seconds is great but oftentimes impossible.  I always try to keep a distance that allows me to see a safe way in front of me (at times I ride right down the middle of the two lanes if I need to).  That being said, there are times on the interstate where traffic makes this impossible.  I've been on I-64 near Hampton/NN/ when traffic is moving (both lanes) at an indicated 75, but volume is so heavy that it makes it so you can't keep more than 1 car length.  If you drop back to make yourself safer, someone moves over.  You can't win sometimes.  That's just reality.  

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here is a REAL WORLD explanation of how traffic works since some people like RandyO don't seem to understand.

If you have a tailgater on a 3 lane hwy. and you slow up to increase your distance between you and the car in front all the cage behind you does is get frustrated and make an often dangerous pass to get around you plus they ride your damn rear tire until they are able to pass.

So after the pass you now you have a new asshole behind you who does the same thing. YOU HAVE TO RIDE WITH THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC.

Only on open stretches of hwy. (usually east to west highways b/c north and south hwys have so much traffic) are you able to have a good deal of distance between you and other cars. IN THE REAL WORLD you often have to ride in very close quarters with cages at high speeds. Just A FACT OF LIFE HERE.

I choose to ride in the far left lane with my bike positioned so close to the far left line that I can see 3 or 4 cars ahead. RandyO is always so quick with the blanket statement. Pick better lane position, increase distance between yourself and the car in front....Yhea yhea great advice but more often than not it is a grey world and these great little tips are useless.

I applaud this guy for coming out of this rubber side down. Good job man.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kevin said:
Here is a REAL WORLD explanation of how traffic works since some people like RandyO don't seem to understand.
Shame on you RandyO, you nerdass ;) All joking aside, I'm glad you're OK.

·
Registered
177 Posts
^
(Kevin)

Yep. Out here in Seattle where drivers are WAY more courteous I can often keep my preferred 4 seconds of following distance, but when traffic gets heavy enough even here it's oftentimes impossible. East coast drivers (I grew up there and was back this summer) are flaming a-holes, and 90% of the time anywhere near the big spots like Philly, NY, Baltimore, DC, etc, it is absolutely impossible to keep that following distance without getting plowed over from behind. Even if you do 'get' the following distance, you're usually going so slow you've got a constant flow of people pulling in front of you, and they sure as hell aren't waiting till they're 3 seconds ahead.

Nice save acv. I know what it's like to not have time to swerve or you'll just hit it while you're sideways. I came up on a big hunk of desk or something yesterday and my executive decision was to stand up out of the seat, worked out ok. It was about an inch high though, no tire, hahaha.

·
Registered
231 Posts
avc8130,
Glad you are here to write this thread. This could have been way more serious. ;)
Glad your guarding angel was close to you and good job of riding it out.
Cheers!
Richard

1 - 20 of 47 Posts