Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by the result of a thread that had nothing to do with pucks, another member and I shared the pucks we use for our bikes that were not intended for use as bike pucks. This other person uses a furniture slider and I have a synthetic brick. So here is my puck and it is especially useful because I can flip it around to offset the declined/inclined slope on which I may need to park my bike. But what re-purposed item do you use for a puck, or some other bike item? (I sure hope there are no helmets that aren't meant to be helmets!)

For scale I used what was handy :eek:ccasion14: The synthetic brick is made from recycled tires and was sent to me because I am a radio news producer. We have a home improvement show on our station and the company that makes these was hoping to be featured on the show. Sadly the show is syndicated (well, not for them) and the brick was sent to me, rather than the show producers. It sat around the station for about 2 years being used as my coffee coaster before I bought my first bike, my SV650S, and I realized it was a perfect puck due to our inclined parking lot. My co-workers recognized the fake brick under the kick stand of the unknown bike and stopped by the newsroom to laugh about my re-purposing of the fake brick and congratulate me on a bike.

Pics!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/AnthonyLand/IMG_20120629_204532.jpg

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Do you mean a kickstand puck?

If that's what you're talking about a crushed soda can always worked for me. They're almost infinitely available so I never bother to carry one around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man, carrying around a brick everywhere you go seems like a little much. Then again I dont ride in swamps.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Pop cans work.

I've used flat rocks as well. And pieces of bark. Offroad, but not in swamps. :)

After I had a few bikes sink in hot paving (well the stands, anyway), I started being more careful where I park. One of my bikes came with a small (4"x6") piece of sheet aluminum, courtesy of the PO, that works well when needed. In the garage, I use scrap 3/4" pressboard to keep the bikes a bit more vertical. On one of the forums, there was a guy who cut out a barefoot w/toes pattern out of sheet steel that could be welded to the sidestand, and sold a number of them.

Unfortunately, in some areas, anything fancy or clever that is not attached to the bike is a theft risk. Hence the popularity of crushed pop cans.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
The lid from an empty can of one of these. I "manufacture" a new one about every other day (or less). Maybe I should start saving them and open an ebay store? :dontknow:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Since I almost always have a Gatorade/ Powerade bottle in my backpack, I just use the upside-down lid... but I've only done that once when the shift assemble fell off on me on the interstate and I had to pull off into the gravel shoulder... I dont really make a conscious effort to bring one with me when I ride...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Once used a frisbee out of a friends car, needless to say the 2$ thing didn't get more then one use as a kickstand puck.

Sent from my pocket Oracle

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
most my friends use the electrical box covers. Personally, I carry peices of space shuttle.... no big deal.

My mother works for a company that makes composites for shuttles and missles (as well as other things). I got ahold of some of the scraps and carry them under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I bought a plastic pad from the CROT store at deals gap with the dragon logo on it. It lives under my rear seat but never gets used. I have only used it in the parking lot where I bought it though. I've never had a problem with pavement getting soft in NW Pennsylvania.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts