Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to deploy to Kuwait within the next year for 6 months. I have a first gen right now that I will be selling to my brother in-law before I leave.

I will be making decent cash while I am there I plan on paying off some things and picking up a new bike when I return.

My question is I see a few of you on here own or have owned RC51's I have my heart set on a SP2 is it a good bike?

Hit me with the pro's and con's...

Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Are there any cons?

The cam chain whine on them is amazingly loud and sounds like a blower. I love it.

I think the only con would be getting a hold of one. They seem pretty rare around here and you end up paying a premium to get one if you want it right away.

·
Registered
290 Posts
range isnt great, and they roast your thighs. very expensive to drop. kinda underpowered and overweight by "modern" standards if you are looking for the latest greatest.

·
Registered
290 Posts
but they are sexy and unique. i lust after one as well. but i'm not in a position to afford such a narrowly focused machine. i'm a one bike guy for the time being.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Are there any cons?

The cam chain whine on them is amazingly loud and sounds like a blower. I love it.

I think the only con would be getting a hold of one. They seem pretty rare around here and you end up paying a premium to get one if you want it right away.
cam chain? I thought rc's were gear driven cams?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are great bikes. Plenty fast if you know how to ride it. I've got one and so does my little brother. He still races his, was passing 1098s on the banks at Daytona a couple of weeks ago (and the bike now has 90,000 miles on it). If your a beginner- not the bike for you, stick with the SV. I can go faster on the SV in the tight stuff than on the 51. And the SV is a lot more fun to ride "around town" than the 51 to (in town you never get to shift up to third on the RC).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always think twice before entering my opinion on the RC51 because I am usually 180 out from the rest of the world. I owned an RC for a year. The motor is one of the coolest V twins ever made. That is about all the good I can say about the RC. It was/is a very over hyped homogulation model. The RC that Nicky Hayden rode was 100 pounds lighter and had 50-60 more horses. Mine was the most uncomfortable and tiring bike I have ever ridden. 10 laps on the RC and my forearms were ready to quit. Ride it in traffic and it burned my inner thighs. The ZX6RR I replaced it with could lap PMI in pueblo 5-6 seconds quicker easily and I could ride it 3 times as long for the same effort. In my opinion the RC was a cool novelty but I'd never own another. To own one as a ocasional ride would be cool, but as an only bike, no thanks not for me. I actually think the VTR1000 was a far better street bike even though the RC motor was far better. One track day in Pueblo I was playing with a guy on his RC and me on my ZX6 and it was too easy to pick on him, anywhere on the track. In the twisties I could pass him at will and absolutely blow by him on the front straight. I got bored with that, parked the ZX6 and took out my XR650R supermoto bike to play with him. We were far more even that way. I could still pass easily in the turns, but he would reel me back in on the front straight. Pretty sad comentary on the RC to have a 650 dirt bike be **** near equal on the track... Everyone elses opinion will be different. This one is just mine...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Everything that is stated above.

I had one for 4 years and to this day still my favorite bike, the sound alone will make you fall in love with it.

If your going to get one save up and hold out for a built one, you can find a full Ohlins equipped bike for $7000.

I sold this for 6700.00 this past fall so the deals are out there. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I always think twice before entering my opinion on the RC51 because I am usually 180 out from the rest of the world. I owned an RC for a year. The motor is one of the coolest V twins ever made. That is about all the good I can say about the RC. It was/is a very over hyped homogulation model. The RC that Nicky Hayden rode was 100 pounds lighter and had 50-60 more horses. Mine was the most uncomfortable and tiring bike I have ever ridden. 10 laps on the RC and my forearms were ready to quit. Ride it in traffic and it burned my inner thighs. The ZX6RR I replaced it with could lap PMI in pueblo 5-6 seconds quicker easily and I could ride it 3 times as long for the same effort. In my opinion the RC was a cool novelty but I'd never own another. To own one as a ocasional ride would be cool, but as an only bike, no thanks not for me. I actually think the VTR1000 was a far better street bike even though the RC motor was far better. One track day in Pueblo I was playing with a guy on his RC and me on my ZX6 and it was too easy to pick on him, anywhere on the track. In the twisties I could pass him at will and absolutely blow by him on the front straight. I got bored with that, parked the ZX6 and took out my XR650R supermoto bike to play with him. We were far more even that way. I could still pass easily in the turns, but he would reel me back in on the front straight. Pretty sad comentary on the RC to have a 650 dirt bike be **** near equal on the track... Everyone elses opinion will be different. This one is just mine...

How do you think it would do against the SV650 on the track?

·
Registered
44 Posts
How do you think it would do against the SV650 on the track?
The RC would toast an SV on a long track and probably not have all that much trouble on a short track. Lets face it an SV has no horses and in stock form really really bad suspension/handling... Where my SV shines over the RC is I can ride it all day comfortably and only stop for gas 1/3rd as often and not have cooked family jewels at the end of the day...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The RC would toast an SV on a long track and probably not have all that much trouble on a short track. Lets face it an SV has no horses and in stock form really really bad suspension/handling... Where my SV shines over the RC is I can ride it all day comfortably and only stop for gas 1/3rd as often and not have cooked family jewels at the end of the day...

Quoted for truth!

I use to pull 500 mile days on the 51 and gas stops got old!! ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have thought long and hard on this , and I bought an SP2 . One thing I found about twins was reliability , especially amongst the non Japanese . The Buell 1125r confirmed that amongst other makes of V twins on the forums . The Honda however showed typical Jap reliability . The SV was another .
I believe too that the modern sportsbike has taken the 'track' to the road a little too much . Whilst I like a bike that is track orientated , I wouldn't like it to be at the expense of reliability and overly expensive maintenance costs .
I believe the SP meets those requirements , whilst not losing any of its competiveness if you should decide to mod it with the many HRC extras, the bike will cut it with the best V twins have to offer . The SP was known to get 160 hp + at the rear wheel for the race bikes .
For me , a power comander , carbon can/s/ parts, and maybe some trick rims will be my limit . I'm not out to set lap records , but I do like to keep up with the rest on the street in the tight .
Their build quality is second to none ,not being outdone by any of the euro exotics. The motor apparanty is an engeneering masterpiece. They handle impeccably set up right , and have that torque where it counts . They will not devaluate any more , and in probability increase in value the rarer they become . They have always commanded respect in the biking world . There are a few private reports of people regretting their sale and going to buy another one because they miss it so much . That's what sold it for me .
They are definately a peice of motorcycling history , and I'm sure that in capable hands they will be enough for anyone to have fun and spook a few Duke , KTM , and Ape riders .
I have more difficulty looking for reasons NOT to buy it than to buy it .
I pick up mine tomorrow , and I feel very confident that I've made the right choice .

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have thought long and hard on this , and I bought an SP2 . One thing I found about twins was reliability , especially amongst the non Japanese . The Buell 1125r confirmed that amongst other makes of V twins on the forums . The Honda however showed typical Jap reliability . The SV was another .
wait, what ???

what did you find out about v-twin reliability? What the the 1125 confirm? what do you mean by "the sv was another"?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts