Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from work today i noticed a rattling which sounds like its coming from the engine.  When im riding it sounds like a loose pice of metal, sort of a buzzing sound...only noticable on acceleration.  I revved it up several times in the driveway and it sounds like it could be a timing chain of some sort..or somethign similar? it definately sounds like its in the engine somewhere, maybe more toward the heads but the exhaust noise makes it hard to tell.  It wasn't doing it before i stopped and filled my tank, then about 1/2 way home from there i noticed the noise.  I'll take a closer listen tomorrow but untill then,  any thoughts or suggestions on what i should listen for? ???

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Re: Rattling sound in the engine....

common SV cam chain noise, it's the distinctive sound that SVs make, don't worry about it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

No noticable loss of power but the noise was only there for about the last 5 or 10 miles of my ride. Im at about 11,200 miles, when do the valves need to be adjusted?
Im positive its not the normal SV noise because it sprung out out of nowhere. I listened closer and its definately in the head(s) both seem to be rattling but i cant tell which is normal and which is making the racket. Guess i gotta take it somewhere and have em listen. It kinda sounds like the normal noise just...got a LOT louder

·
Registered
432 Posts

RandyO said:
common SV cam chain noise, it's the distinctive sound that SVs make, don't worry about it
Yes, not to worry about a cam chain. I've got a similar noise from the front cylinder. You would assume cam chain but it just doesn't have that rattly sound, it's more like a clicking under acceleration. ???

·
Registered
722 Posts

Wear earplugs. I have ridden most of the bikes nearly 39K with them. Each time I don't, I start wondering about that "ticking"...was it there before.... I had it listened to when I bought it and the dealer said Cam Chain, normal on the SV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No conclusion yet...Im taking it somewhere this weekend to have it listened to.
Im 100% positive its not normal noise because ive had this bikce since 3500 miles and i've never heard it before, and i've spent plenty of time in every RPM range. We'll see what Mr. mechanic has to say abou tit.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Ya, like Predator only faster.

Nimbus, like I said earlier. I'm not scared of a ticking chain. I purchased a brand new, 600 Hurricane once so I know about ticking cam chains. It just doesn't sound the same . Also, in my previous experience the cam chain noise was affected by engine temperature.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it just didn't sound to me like a rattling cam chain. I'm no expert but sometimes I think I am. ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts

There is the posibility that the "automatic" cam chain adjuster is stuck. You can take the bolt (in the center, not the 2 mounting bolts) out, stick small flat head in and twist the adjuster back and forth a bit, it's spring loaded to go in so you last twist should be counterclockwise and let it drop in to place or a light clockwise insuring not to over tighten.

I had to do this on both of my SV's (front cylinder on both). Cleared up the noise right away.

·
Registered
332 Posts

PS. there is a gasket on that bolt, if it starts leaking afterwards, use some silcon gasket sealer.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Lil Blue02 said:
There is the posibility that the "automatic" cam chain adjuster is stuck. You can take the bolt (in the center, not the 2 mounting bolts) out, stick small flat head in and twist the adjuster back and forth a bit, it's spring loaded to go in so you last twist should be counterclockwise and let it drop in to place or a light clockwise insuring not to over tighten.

I had to do this on both of my SV's (front cylinder on both). Cleared up the noise right away.
Hmm, I might have to try that as well. Good info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Lil Blue02 said:

thaks a lot, i'll definately have to try that...im not sure i know exactly where your talking about with out the bike right her infront of me though....would it be in my owners manual? if not, any idea where i could find a diagram?

·
Registered
432 Posts

I will also add that the noise is from the front cylinder. I see a pattern here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The automatic tensioner of which you speak...on the front cylinder would it be on the left or right side? On the right side up near the head i only see one bolt, allen head, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter same dark color as the cylinder. then on the the other side theres one thats silver, still allen head, but its flatter and is about 1/2 inch...is it one of those?...someday i'll learn my way around this darn thing :-\

ok so i just took it for a spin and now im really confused. when riding its most prominent around 4-6k. It has a definate metal on metal rattle sound, and it seemed to almost fade in and out sometimes... id rev it up to 7 and it would rattle through acceleration untill i got there, then stop when i held it at 7. That made me think it was a loose bolt of somesort, i lifted the tank and pulled the air box and ran it for a brief moment to see if there was something loose in the carb area but i still coudl't tell where exactly the noise is coming from. It does'nt seem to be anythign exterrior, is there anything in the engine that could come loose and make such a prominent rattle with out effecting the way the bike runs? cause it runs 100%. Also, it seems like the noise starts earlier when just reving in the driveway it didn't use to get too bad till 5 or 6...now it seem to start in as soon as i crack the throttle. I've got an apt. to get it listened to on tuesday.

Does anyone know where i can get sounds hosted? if so i can take some audio clips and post them...or if you think you could tell by sound, let me know and i'll email you a sound clip.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Mike said:
I will also add that the noise is from the front cylinder. I see a pattern here.
Atleast we all have a common problem, maybe we should all gather some info and call suzuki and tell them we want it fixed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ok i just took an audio clip...if you wanna take a guess let me know and ill email you the clip....or let me know how/where i can post it online

1 - 20 of 34 Posts