Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello riders, brand new to the site. brand new rider as well. just purchased a sv650s 2001 about a week ago. everything was perfect no weird sounds or issues. i made the dumbest choice of going to the bar last night on it. keep the story short... when i went to leave, i lost balance backing it up and laid it on its left side. (some minor scratches on the cowl and the side of motor.) i went to go to work this morning and noticed right away in first gear that if im "accelerating" theres no noise, when i coast/decellerate there is a rubbing/grinding noise periodically and randomly. will do it 2nd and 3rd gear but harder to hear with wind etc. i thought it might of been the front fender rubbing on tire but listening closely it sounds like the left side by the motor. wondering if setting the bike on its side could have loosened the chain or thrown clutch plates out of wack? doesnt make the noise when clutch is pulled in. only when its in gear driving. any advice is amazing. sorry for my spelling, grammar, and lack of knowledge of bikes yet. thanks in advance. hopefully i put this in the right forum section. if not, delete please. runs and goes through the gears fine, pull on it is great. just wanna fix the noise before it gets worse or is unsafe, i can post a video but i dont have a bike stand yet so might be hard to hear the noise vs the wind but i will try to get a video. i feel like after dropping it on its side it took a slight impact on the clutch/motor casing and now just has a weird rubbing noise when its not under load. just frightens me cuz it did not have any noise before i dropped the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
i do want to note it was dropped on a gravel type parking lot in case that matters. was pretty much a stationary drop to the ground. also note, i just got the bike a week ago, the p/o had the bike sitting for a couple years. and the day i dropped it was my first day actually riding it consistantly for about 3-4 hours total. i took it to work and back everyday before i did that cruise and my work is about a 10min drive. bike was running in neutral when i tipped it. sorry for the book, just like to give as much detail i can in text form.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue as well with my 2nd gen after a low speed crash.. Chain is still normal 1 1/4 inch slack give or take.. my bike was Tipped on it's right side and laid for an hour or two I suppose I unfortunately broke my hip and got put in a wagon so I had it towed home and tried my best to very thoroughly inspect any and all damage and there was surprisingly little wrong. No water in oil, plugs didn't look bad and cleaned around them ect, blew compressed air on some grimy connections and cleaned water holes, some dirt water drained from one of them. My upper front cowl or top fairing was loose and continues to come loose now.. which might be causing my new sudden power loss? everything started with the kinda slapping/metallic clicking sound that is hard to pinpoint as you described.. sometimes seems like the chain and sometimes sounds and even feels like my front wheel or somewhere near the front bottom belly area. but now I'm getting the red light and fuel light PLUS a very alarming also random total complete power loss while downshifting or decreasing rpms and sporadic-speedo reads like 140 then jumps to like 20's when I'm going maybe 40. Other times it reads 100+ at a red light and I'll get the fuel light but it doesn't always die just fluxuates. Now I noticed my temp at 217, 30 degrees higher than my bike normally is.. could that cause the power loss? I checked the kickstand Killswitch and the actual Killswitch, ignition, inspected every connection that I came about but far from all.. now it over heated about 30 degrees more than normal at about 220 but no light came on.. maybe that's why my bike shuts down? Over heating or misreading gauge? I am sure I may have multiple issues don't want to scare you but It all started with the slapping and fluttering sound but most of my symptoms seem related to it and don't want you to have a similar problem like I did when my bike completely lost power (no lights, nothing) as soon as iet the clutch out down shifting about 60 mph, downhill at night just before a corner! My rear tire cut loose and everything. Luckily it was a full moon and no cars in the oncoming Lane. I havn't ridden my sv since but really want to.. may be time for me to get a new modern sv and take my time to completely fix my 06 SV650S Half fairing up.. still looks great just runs awful one day and brilliant the next..
Resized_IMG_20200430_122918.jpeg
20200503_000003.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hope this isn't so vague as to be useless, but have a close look at the side you dropped it on for signs of rubbing, i.e. shiny metal, scuffs on rubber, etc.. The idea is to try to narrow it down to internal versus external damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope this isn't so vague as to be useless, but have a close look at the side you dropped it on for signs of rubbing, i.e. shiny metal, scuffs on rubber, etc.. The idea is to try to narrow it down to internal versus external damage.
thanks for ur input, i took it to a shop to see what was up. realized the chain was rubbing on one of the bolts that sticks out for the lowering kit it has in it. just a coincidence it started rubbing next day after dropping it or it maybe stretched the chain slightly. tightened chain very slightly and rubbing noise went away for now. thanks again for ur input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts