Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a DIY paint job on their SV?

Instead of buying all new fairings and gas tank, I was thinking i'd give do it yourself fairing repair a try.

Is there any special paint that I should be looking for? Can i use the same paint on the fairings and the gas tank?

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
well... the thing with spray cans is they can have a very inconsistant spray at times leaving a not so desireable effect on the paint. but, I think if you lay the paint on think enough and want to spend some time wet sanding with something like 1500-2000 grit sandpaper... you can smooth most any rough spots out before clear coating and will look ok

as far as paint on fairings and tank... the same paint can be used... the difference will be in the clear coat. If you paint... you want to clear coat it to help protect the paint and add that deep glossy look to the paint job. Here is where its tricky... some clears are safe for use on tanks because they are chemical resistant and some aren't. If you go look at color-rite.com which is a good place to find OEM matched paint... they have only one clear if using a spray gun it they claim it to be chemical resistant. But I think they have 2 clears in aerosol cans... one is chemical resistant (KK7) and one isn't. The chemical resistant is twice as much as non... so this may be only reason not to just use the KK7 for th whole bike.

paint wise... I think you want to look for urethane based paints for automotive use to withstand the elements like sun if you get paint from place other than color-rite.com.... I don't work for them but I recommend them because they gave me great customer service and the quality of the paint is awesome though its not cheap

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

i painted my car rims using rattle can paint and they came out well, so i thought i'd try my luck at body panels ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
digidelia said:
thanks for the reply

i painted my car rims using rattle can paint and they came out well, so i thought i'd try my luck at body panels  ;D
I rattlecanned my SV's track fairings and they came out OK.  Used color-rite paint and U-POL chemical resistant clear.
Have lots of orange peel (my first time spraypainting fairings), but it was relatively cheap and came out OK.  Good enough for pictures and a trackbike.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you like the look of it, try a flat paint. I did my last bike in Ultra-Flat black from Krylon. It's a great paint and it's really easy to put on. It blends itself perfectly, even if you've gotta redo a portion or something. Just don't forget 90% of painting is prep (sanding and stuff), and you have to use primer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts