Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just got my SV! I'm 17 and it's my first bike, It has a nice paint job on it but I am wondering, has anyone put chameleon (or whatever you want to call it it) paint on an svs?
example:

Also as for painting your sv, is it hard to remove the tank? i'm not exactly a mechanic :p

·
Registered
737 Posts
So, you're talking about a 1st gen SV? Removing the tank is easy.

Remove the front seat. Remove the two bolts holding the tank down by the steering head. Prop it up and remove the two lines from the petcock - the fuel line and the vacuum line. The fuel line is the thicker one and will spill some fuel when you remove it... have a rag handy to catch the little bit of fuel. The third thing you'll have to disconnect is the fuel light indicator. It's just an electrical connector that will disconnect easily.

Finally, there will be two more bolts holding the tank down on the subframe. Remove them and your tank will come off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always hated that chameleon paint I've never seen it in decent colors - it's always orange to brown or ew green to weird purple or something. Rattle can'ing can get good results though. My last bike was flat black and it looked awesome, I got compliments all the time. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not a big fan of the Chameleon paint either but if that's what you like that's cool. What makes a bike cool, is individuality. I've seen a million black Svs but never a chameleon. That would give you extra 8) points

J

·
0 Posts
Rattle cans can paint a biek very well. My buddy took his time and it came out very well. Only problem is he used rattle can clear, which doesnt have a hardener. Any time gas spills on the tank it will eat into your paint.

I didnt beleive it until i saw his tank will small pot marks all over it where the clear got dissolved.

Rattle can it and get it professioaly cleared if possible, it will last longer

·
Registered
57 Posts
only an opinion, but that rainbow paint it gross.  if you're looking to save money, a rattle can flat black looks cool (to me).  i just painted mine, but left the tank the stock red. i like it and it looks pretty tough.  i used the camo stuff because i figured it would hold up to the elements and would be as the can says "ultra flat".  good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
537 Posts
*can* you do the chamelion/shimmery paint job w/ just rattle cans?

the trick is in the prep. laying down the paint actually takes the least amount of time. it's the sanding, the buffing and the tons of elbow grease you're going to put into the piece.

personally, i don't think you can do a decent paint job like that w/ rattle cans. the mist isn't fine enough and it almost always orange peels.

get some rattle cans and practice on a spare piece of metal or wood or something and perfect your technique on scraps. that way you don't end up w/ a POS lookin' dripping orange-peely mess straight from the ghetto.

the guys who have that kind of paint on their cars paid big bucks for those done by a professional using profressional grade tools, techniques and equipment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I work at gijoes up in the northwest and we have a chameleon package you can buy for 20 bucks. It has a 3 step process package to it. I don't know if it works very well, but I think it'd be cool. It seems that lots of people like flat black around here. ;D

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just did some flat black on a spare rear section I had for 1st gen SV. Came out nice and smooth, but it shows every drop of grease and grime that touches it. Might get it professionally cleared. I'll get some pics loaded. As mentioned earlier, the key is in the sanding and prep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the chameleon paint. I have it on my 97 trans AM. I do not think all of the chameleon paints look great though. The ones that change too many diff colors are not so hot in my opinion. I also don't think you'll get too great of a job with the rattle cans. You'll never know until you try it. And remember the only opinion that counts is your own. ;D

C

·
0 Posts
JB said:
Rattle cans can paint a biek very well. My buddy took his time and it came out very well. Only problem is he used rattle can clear, which doesnt have a hardener. Any time gas spills on the tank it will eat into your paint.

I didnt beleive it until i saw his tank will small pot marks all over it where the clear got dissolved.

Rattle can it and get it professioaly cleared if possible, it will last longer
I second that suggestion of getting it profesonally clear coated. I repainted my front fairings with rattle cans, duplicolor, and it came out good, even had that mirror finish with the clear coat. Now the clear coat is all scratched up from my tarp.
I just bought an enamel rattle can clear coat and I'll see how durable that is because I originally used laquer.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
rustoleum enamel paints are the best stuff you can get out of a can. If the clear coat is compatible with your base coat I would definitely reccomend it. It holds up well, is very strong and resists fuel and most automotive cleaners well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you have to sprey a primer before the actual paint?or just sand the clear coat and apply the paint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok since everyone seems against it maybe I won't :p. Anyone have any pics of Flat Black or even a Glossy Black. Right now mine is Blue with a Silver Racing stripe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
see if you can track down a post by Punkjumper, I think his is Flat black with a red frame, uses it in his sig.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts