Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can people with Gorilla alarms or other alarm systems describe hwo they have their systems mounted?

I have my alarm in the tail with the antenna going towards the front of the bike, but the range is absolutely terrible. Like 10-20 feet tops.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Most omni antennas make a big donut/bagel shape radiation pattern (with the antenna inline with the hole).

Point the antenna up if you can.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I never tried to mount my antenna wire in any specific place or even secure it. IIRC it was hanging loose somewhere under the main seat. I could regularly change the settings while I was in my 2nd story apartment ~50ft away from the bike. Never had a need to test the distance beyond that though.

Maybe call Gorilla and see if it's a uncommon but known problem with some of their models?

·
Registered
978 Posts
it varies on mine. sometimes i can be kinda far and it will reach, but other times ill be like 10 ft. away and it wont make it. it's kinda sad because I remember my Bully Locks sensed a disturbance and I was like 100 yards away (it paged me correctly ).

I'll be lucky to get anything from the Gorilla if I'm not in Line of Sight. It also depends if you're using the pager or the transmitter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
So if you're more than 10ft away the pager wont receive a message that your alarm is going off? or your remote wont shut off the alarm? I was gonna buy one this week, but maybe not anymore...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me it wont receive the command.

It used to, but I don't know why the signal got so crappy lately. I figure the antenna wire had to have moved which is making it worse.

·
Registered
978 Posts
For me it wont receive the command.

It used to, but I don't know why the signal got so crappy lately. I figure the antenna wire had to have moved which is making it worse.
ditto. sometimes it won't receive the lock/unlock command with LOS (Line of sight). not sure why the reception varies so much.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you win onecartel. Whenever the alarm seems to work, I'm perpendicular to the bike.

So coiling the antenna in a circle around the subframe should work best?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Try to get it so the antenna is standing up, at the highest point available. Based on the little I know about radios and bunny ears, this should give you the most coverage.

From a coverage perspective, the tail section would probably work best. But I guess that's also the most at risk area for tampering.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the problem is that the antenna is about 3 ft' of long wire. I'm not sure how to get it standing up without having it coiled multiple loops.

I'm assuming having repeated short up and down loops will not have a lot of range if the length is ony like 2 inches?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
the wire going up to the antenna box thingy shouldn't matter too much AFAIK (just keep any coiling away from the end stub), as the lil stub on the box is what's doing the anntenna-y stuff.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hmmm, I guess this would qualify as a random wire antenna. In that case, we want to minimize coiling or folding to prevent weird lobes in the output pattern.

How long is the wire? Where is alarm installed on your bike? I'm taking a guess here, but if your alarm's close to the stern of the bike, run the wire straight up the subframe to the aft/tail section. If there's excess, just loop it straight back towards the front.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the alarm in the tail and it's wired along the subframe towards the front of the bike.

Would contact with certain materials reduce the effectiveness of the alarm? I assumed only other signals would affect the alarm, not materials.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts