Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm back looking at Sv's again. What kind of range advantage does the 650 have over the 1000, and how do each compare in city riding. I have been able to sit on both machines and don't see too much difference in seating or standing weight. I guess I am asking is the extra 350 cc's worth the expense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Luftmech,
I thought you were sold on the Fizzy.
My 02 SV650 gets a few more MPG than my FZ (~55 mpg vs 51mpg highway).
The SV has about 300km range which is decent.
I've ridden the SV1000 and didn't find it to be as "fun" a bike as the 650 FWIW.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
None... I ride a first gen with the snorklectomy and big mains (152.5 vs stock at 137.5) and the guy I ride with had a SV1000S with PC3 and full Renegade high pipes.

Highway... he rules me with the smaller drive ratio (I also have 46T rear) and he lopes around at 4k or so at 80, while I'm at 6k. So yeah, I'm sucking fuel.... I get 170~180 miles to full on empty highway.

In the twisties... Not even close. I can get many more miles than him. Our last time at the Gap, he was filling up about 1/2 gallon to a full gallon more than I was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey Canuck, very very close on the fizzy. I am kind of dealing on a 2002 now but I know its out of my price range by a few bucks. That is why I started looking at the Sv's again. Used one's seem to be a little cheaper then used fizzies at least enough to make me look around again. And besides, modern frames and FI for less money... So I need to look at the 650 vs. 1000 again. Our local dealer is demoing a 1000 this year so I will get to ride one regardless.

By the way that used Fz1 is just up the road from you, it seems like a really good deal, just not working for me....today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you're interested in an SV1K, I think there may be some leftover 03's and 04's around here. I've seen demo SV1K's for sale around here at $7500 and brand new leftovers at $8500. Pretty good deals if it's the bike you want.
You might want to check out, Alberta Cycle, Riverside Yamaha Suzuki, and Argyll Motorsports in Edmonton, and Blackfoot Motosports in Calgary.
I think the SV's are a more fun bike, for shorter blasts, but the FZ has better all around capability and comfort if you're going to do any kind of distance riding or touring. One of each works great for me. heh heh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, those are some really good prices I think the 1k is what I am leaning toward because I am comming off of a Vmax, but I rarely leave town and every one raves about how fun the 650 can be. Do you ride your 650 around town much or is a track only bike?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Luftmech,
I ride the SV locally and at the track. Haven't yet turned it into a dedicated track bike yet, but the thought has been on my mind...I've also thought of getting a second one, if I can find one cheap, a bit beat up, and converting that into a track only tool so I can keep a the nice one for the street. Hmmm, all I have to do is convince my wife I need it :wink:
Honestly, for just around town, I don't think a guy would see as much benefit from having the 1K's extra power, the 650 is pretty quick on it's feet, as much as I need on the street. However, nothing wrong with the 1K either, especially if you can find a good deal. Good luck with finding the right bike for you. You're definitely doing your homework, so you will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2003 svs with 2004 speedo will it work

Unfortunately I recently went down on my 03 sv650s. I lost my speedo in that accident along with me pride. I replaced the speedo with one from an 04. I keep getting a flashing fuel light(constantly). Does anyone have any advice? Can I even put an -4 speedo on my 03, or do I simply need to buy a new one.( $400 wow)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts