Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....just got back from a ~1,000 mile trip around CA. I started out from Redwood City (between San Francisco and San Jose), got trucked to a track day in Buttonwillow, then set off riding to the high desert (palmdale), santa monica, claremont, sherman oaks, back up to the mojave area, back to buttonwillow, and then the gorgeous 58W out to atascadero, and other random back roads all the way from SoCal back to the SF Bay Area.

• I saw an exploded deer. I mean, I saw several dead deer, but this one was EXPLODED. Ick.
  • I didn't get any speeding tickets.
  • The guy with the weird-shaped ass who designed the seat on the SV needs either to be shot, or spend the rest of eternity sitting on this damn thing.
  • A suomy race helmet is fabulous at trackday, but sucks rocks as a long-distance touring helmet. Even with earplugs in, it's LOUD, and way the air pounds your head leaves it ringing after a long day's ride.
  • I rode right by some army ordinance proving grounds. Nobody was shooting anything.
  • Camelbaks are awesome!
  • V-twin engines may make you want to pee more quickly than I-4's.
  • 2-piece leather suits make it 100 times easier to poo in public restrooms than 1-pieces. 1000 times easier in porta-potties.
  • Getting sprayed with 87-octane from a broken pump is not nearly as fun as it sounds.
    • CAMELBAKS ARE GOOD FOR IRRIGATING GAS-SOAKED EYES:(
  • and probably the most obvious statement: taking the backroads from SoCal to norcal is about 1,000,002 times more fun than taking the perfectly straight highway, and probably twice as fun as the famous PCH, as the PCH has much more traffic.

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did a trip like that myself last month.....it was a blast!!!

Yeah, SV seats are a little rough on the rump after a bit....and your hands do go numb after awhile too....but, I wouldn't go back to a four banger for anything......I'd rather ride a Ducati....but I gotta wait a bit to get some cash for that...

SV

·
Registered
283 Posts
Does this qualify for an iron-butt award?

Can you say, "Corbin" seat should be in my future? Yeah, it makes a whole lotta difference.

Glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
scottyu said:
[*]The guy with the weird-shaped ass who designed the seat on the SV needs either to be shot, or spend the rest of eternity sitting on this damn thing.

Replace it with a piece of plywood, ride a few days with that and you will appreciate the seat more.

But I envy you, I cant wait to make the trip from Phoenix to Laguna Seca for the USGP next summer on my bike!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Right on man! Gotta love California for the riding weather and the great riding roads. Try Hwy 36 between Interstate 5 and the coast! Should be just north of you. One of the nations best rides!

·
Registered
19 Posts
1K miles in a day? congrats! 500 is my personal limit..but I prefer about 400.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Long trips are awsome, I went around Lake Superior, starting in Duluth Mn, and going counter clockwise, 1200 mi in two days, awsome ride. I always loved the whole sport, sport touring aspect, but I am quickly finding taking longer trips more enjoyable, especially if your campin overnight in some foreign place with good friends. It makes for fun times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have only been up in norcal via cager, two wheels sounds breathtaking...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only ridden I4's for a couple hundred miles, so don't have a good comparison. But I added a full yosh and jetted/shimmed the bike shortly before the trip, and I could swear the extra noise/vibration perfectly targets my apparently tiny bladder. Heh.
danthony12321 said:
I thought it was just me who thought that  ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BentValve said:
1K miles in a day?  congrats!  500 is my personal limit..but I prefer about 400.
Oh no, not in one day! The first day of the trip was a track day, plus an evening ride into the high desert, the next day was tooling around LA, and then the following day it got gnarly - after a crazy night of sushi, vodka, sake, and beer I ended up with a mild case of gastrointeritis, and though I was in horrible shape I had to make it out to Claremont. Splitting lanes on the jammed 210 freeway in 95-degree heat wearing a non-perf leather suit after you've just gotten over a nasty case of the runs and are still dehydrated is not something I'd recommend to anyone unless I hated them :p

After THAT episode, I took it easy for a couple days at my folks place until I felt strong enough for the big trip back, which was about 450 miles in one day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cyclerider105 said:
Right on man!  Gotta love California for the riding weather and the great riding roads.  Try Hwy 36 between Interstate 5 and the coast!  Should be just north of you.  One of the nations best rides!
Wow, hwy 36 around redding? That's about 300 miles north of redwood city, I think :p
I was out that way for a wedding in Monte Rio, and cursing the entire time that I had to cage it out there. That country is just gorgeous!

·
Registered
47 Posts
ScottyU, cool trip, how did you like those roller coaster hills on 58 on the east side of california valley? At elevated speeds your motorcycle will leave the earth, if only briefly. Also sounds like you tripped from 101 to 1 on Naciamento Ferguson road where the old ordinance testing range is. Those huge signs on each side of the road telling you not to leave the road are a bit scarry, but the view when you come out of the hills 2000 feet above the pacific is great. Fun stuff, I hope you have more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts