Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the thread to throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks. If you have any ideas about ANY area whatsoever to do with the SV Rally, post them here. It can be about scheduling, entertainment, food, secondary activities, you name it.

This is NOT however a discussion thread. Each individual idea will be evaluated and if it warrants further public discussion, I'll start an individual thread on it. Small clarifications or modifications will not be perceived as discussion but keep it to a minimum. This thread needs to stay tidy.

And it MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT A **** & MOAN THREAD!!!
If you start that crap, I'll summarily throw out anything you have to say about anything & berate you for being a little b!+€h. And you know I have a gift at that.

The floor is yours.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I'd like to think of ways to promote basic user/member appreciation (not to mention appreciation for the volunteers). Something as simple as handing out water bottles at the registration tent, all the way up to having a SV store at the tent where we can buy SV extras.

Say we get Lance to print a few of the more popular SV shirts. The materials cost goes back to Lance, and whatever profit goes into the Rally fund. Same goes for any other easily produced low cost souvenir that can be branded. All it takes is a few suppliers willing to donate or sell at cost. Any extra money then goes toward next years Rally, which would pay for handing out water bottles for free and buying the souvenir material up front.

Knowing that the SV isn't exactly making a resurgence in ownership, this might not be the easiest idea to implement. It wouldn't exactly be a money maker either, but maybe just enough to cover extra expenses and give someone like me a chance to buy a beer mug with SV Hadder written on it.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Rally idea......

Actively spread the word to try to get more people in attendance.

Go into the Gladius section of SVR and drag some of them out of there and get them to come to the Rally.

Go on some other forums and spread the word about the SVRally and the stoopid fun time that it is. And emphasize that you don't have to ride a SV to go the the SVRally.

Send Snoots on a round the world SVRally goodwill tour to promote the healing powers of the National SVRally. I can think of no one better to spread the good word of the SVRally Grand Poobah.

Will someone photoshop Aaron's face on this picture? Please?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I don't know what the liability is but I always thought organized group rides would be a good idea. Have a few different ones each day going to different areas - maybe based on skill levels...

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I don't know what the liability is but I always thought organized group rides would be a good idea. Have a few different ones each day going to different areas - maybe based on skill levels...
I think all that would take is getting a thread started for people willing to lead rides. I don't think there would any liability past, "Ride your own ride." I'll definitely lead either a noob ride or a Tour de Georgia, depending on demand. We could get the thread started in March and let the volunteers set the skill level, time and day, distance and direction, and max group members. It could look similar to what is normally done in the lodging thread, and let people have early signups. Then Aaron prints out a sign up sheet for all of the rides that aren't full and let people sign up for them whenever they get to Fontana and register.

Good idea!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Photocopied handouts with suggested day rides, available at the Rally, or even before, via download from this or some other website. This would spark spontaneous mini-group rides, and could help ease some of the anxiety of rally newbies and people who have never ridden in the area before.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Group ride and private luncheon at the Wheels Through Time Museum, with a private tour and luncheon talk with the owner and curator, Dale Walksler. (Fascinating guy, with a huge knowledge of motorcycle history.)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Press releases, posters, brochures, or other promotional material about the Rally, sent to Suzuki dealers, motorcycle-related publications, and motorcycling blogs and websites catering to the North American market.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
No idea if anyone would be interested in them but how about putting on workshops?

101 stuff -
pre-ride inspection
Oil changing
chain tightening/maintenance
clutch
coolant
body positioning
other crap i can't think of?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
A real concerted effort to re-energize existing sponsors and add a significant number of new sponsors, including more and better rally gifts (key chains, mugs, shot glasses, in addition to the ubiquitous t-shirts), and raffle prizes (more gear, and more expensive gear -- helmets, boots, leathers, gift certificates).

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
A guest speaker for the Rally Dinner on Saturday. Maybe somebody with an historic connection to Suzuki (an ex-factory racer?) or a moto-journalist or other author, with an interesting story to tell.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Photocopied handouts with suggested day rides, available at the Rally, or even before, via download from this or some other website.
+1

I am wary of group rides, and warier still of group rides with dozens of people I've never ridden with before, especially when everyone is pumped up (and it's still early in the riding season for a lot of northerners.) But I think it would be GREAT to have half-day and day ride loops to get folks out to ride some of the great roads in NC/GA/TN.

putting on workshops?
Outlaw Justice will typically have a Total Control workshop somewhere nearby at the time of the Rally. Contact him.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
+1

I am wary of group rides, and warier still of group rides with dozens of people I've never ridden with before, especially when everyone is pumped up (and it's still early in the riding season for a lot of northerners.) But I think it would be GREAT to have half-day and day ride loops to get folks out to ride some of the great roads in NC/GA/TN.

Outlaw Justice will typically have a Total Control workshop somewhere nearby at the time of the Rally. Contact him.
If we had enough volunteers to lead, I would like to see no more than 10 to 15 in any group. That is a big group if you are doing anything more than just piddling along and sight seeing.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I print the shirts and have to deliver them.................on my SV!!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
If we had enough volunteers to lead, I would like to see no more than 10 to 15 in any group. That is a big group if you are doing anything more than just piddling along and sight seeing.
If we simply make available "suggested" ride sheets, with maps and directions (and appropriate disclaimers), the "groups" will form themselves, and there should be zero potential liability for anyone involved.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Re: T-shirts. Can we get a different design this year? IMO, the design we have been using every year is getting a bit stale (and, to be honest, was never that great to begin with).

The 2013 National SV Rally is the Tenth Anniversary Rally. Shouldn't we have a special design to commemorate it?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
In keeping with the theme of the Tenth Anniversary Rally, I think it would be great if we could make a real effort to encourage the founders, prior Rally organizers, and other significant persons in the Rally's history, some of whom are no longer active members on this forum, to come to the 2013 Rally.

Maybe make them the "guests of honor;" give them a special table at the Banquet; maybe give each a small gift and/or plaque, or other recognition and token of our appreciation.

Ten years for a national rally for a budget, niche bike like the SV is, IMO, a big deal. I'd like to see it treated as such.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Re: T-shirts. Can we get a different design this year? IMO, the design we have been using every year is getting a bit stale (and, to be honest, was never that great to begin with).

The 2013 National SV Rally is the Tenth Anniversary Rally. Shouldn't we have a special design to commemorate it?
We have some great artists on the site. Rally T-shirt design contest? hmmm hmmm hmmm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts