Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forums!
Attached is a picture of my lovely.

I keep getting the same comment about her suspension. The guy that I purchased the bike from was much shorter than I, so I'm guessing he lowered her for his body type. I am 6'1" about 200lbs, and I think that I would fare much better with her being raised up. I get back discomfort after riding for a few hours, minimal, but there. Would raising her up help? Where would I start? Someone who took a look at the bike said I'll need to buy some new shock/ shock parts.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
It depends on what, if anything, the PO did to lower it. If he put on longer dogbones, you just need to find a set of stock ones on ebay and swap them. If he put in a shorter shock, same thing, find a stock one (or GSXR shock the same length or a little longer) and put that on.
The critical thing is to determine what you have.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Aftermarket ones are usually pretty easy to ID

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
It looks like the fork tubes have been shoved up above the triple clamps. If there is more than 12mm showing above the clamps, the front will bottom out Lowering the tubes is easy.

Edit: the clip-ons should be mounted under the top triple, not on top!

Most lowering links have three holes, with the shortest option being the same as stock.

You will need a new side stand! That is the shortest I have ever seen. If you get the suspension up to spec, the stand will be useless.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No matter how (if) the bike was lowered it won't 'fit' better by returning to stock height. The only exception would be the seat, if it was cut down, going back to stock would help a little. Once in motion a lowered bike is the same, the seat, grip, pegs relationship stays the same. With your feet down, as at a stop, they will be more planted.
That all said, you should return it to stock height as it does negatively impact handling and lean angle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the fork tubes have been shoved up above the triple clamps. If there is more than 12mm showing above the clamps, the front will bottom out Lowering the tubes is easy.

Edit: the clip-ons should be mounted under the top triple, not on top!

Most lowering links have three holes, with the shortest option being the same as stock.

You will need a new side stand! That is the shortest I have ever seen. If you get the suspension up to spec, the stand will be useless.
I am in the business of getting this done ASAP! Just bought stock dog bones and am waiting on a stock kickstand. Should I bring forks flush with the top triple and and place clip ons directly underneath to bring up to stock? I ordered set of new wheels as well, Road Attack 3s, seeing as how the bottoming out of the rear during wheelies has eaten the center of my tire.
Well what can ya do.

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Well what can ya do.
Not wheelie:naughty:
There are oil flow problems with the pickup near the front of the engine.
The new front tire should be a /70, not the stock /60. That gains some height.
Moving the bars and fork tubes to their stock arrangement gains you 1.5 in. of height AND 1.5 in of front suspension travel.
A stock seat will gain you 2 inches.
Then you change the dogbones, adjust the shock to the highest setting
Now it will fall over unless you put on the stock kickstand!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The clip ons should absolutely be under the triple. I believe the forks should stick out a bit too.

+1 on 70 series front.

+1 on long wheelies killing SV engines.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys! I know I know v-twins should not be wheelied , and I am not pulling it more than a a foot off the ground for a few seconds. Low-power wheelies I call them. But besides being a squid at times...

So I took a picture of the forks around the triple clamps... As you can see, the top of the forks extends much higher than the clamps. However, the clip-ons ARE underneath the triple clamps, not above them.

When adjusting to stock, should the clamps and forks be flush at the bottom of the fork cap, as indicated by the blue arrow in the picture?

Regarding the front wheel size, should I order the 120/70ZR17 58W size to gain that extra height. I just ordered the 160/60ZR17 69W for the back to replace along with the suspension adjustments. Will I need a new wheel for the front?

Stock kickstand also on the way.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
120/70 front tire fits fine with no other changes. Stock wheel.

With a 120/70 tire a lot of people run the forks up through the triples a little (although not that much).

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Search for this on Amazon
Soupy's SV650 Raising Link
You can raise the rear end by 2 inches, or lower it by 2 inches, in .1 inch increments WITHOUT jacking the bike up!
By the way, coming down from a wheelie onto the present arrangement is guaranteed to damage fork stem bearings and other important parts.
(edit: the maximum amount the tubes should protrude over the upper clamp is 10-12 mm!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts