Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been working on my bike getting it ready for the spring and realized that the radiator leaks. I bought it from a guy that dropped it in his driveway and didn't want to mess around fixing it. The radiator is tweaked pretty bad, but new ones are EXPENSIVE. Anyone have suggestions? Should I take it to a shop and see if they can repair it or just try to find a used one? Money is a little tight so I would like to avoid buying a new setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Where is it leaking from? yeah post some pictures?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for abandoning this post, I've been hella busy the last few days. I'll get pics up tomorrow (I just took them with my phone but I have to bluetooth them to my computer so I'll get em up later). It appears that antifreeze just spews out of the cap area when it gets relatively hot (200+), but I dont think it comes out from anywhere else.

The radiator cap is completely f***ed, I cant get it to come off. I'm getting frustrated so I think I'm just gonna have to pry the **** out of the sides and hope it comes off without damaging anything further. What should I do after I get the cap off though? Obviously my first option would be to put another stock radiator cap on, but are there other alternatives? What if the neck part is messed up too?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
wow, something I can relate too...

My radiator is bended a lil bit from a drop...and the cap got scratched. So I leak coolant from the cap too. It is a pain in the ass to remove but is not the cap that is messed up, is where it attaches.

Try to remove your cap and check if is the cap itself or where it attaches/screws (called the conduction), that way you order the right part. Don't try to pry or break it...take your time and be patient and it'll come out.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
If you're not super careful, prying the cap off will mess up the neck.
motorcycleradiators.com repairs them pretty cheap.

As far as I know most Suzuki radiator caps are interchangable, especially with GSXR's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just double check to see if you have the lil screw on the cap. If so try taking that of first , then unscrew the cap itself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got the cap off after about an hour of gently working it around. Can someone load a pic of what their cap looks like and also what the inside of their filler neck looks like when the cap is off? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I would but since I got your same problem it'll prolly take me one hour to remove it and another to put it back lol...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a long shot but does anyone have a radiator cap laying around that they would send to me if I paid shipping? Or any other offers? I cant find squat around IA for used parts...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts