Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I tried searching the web and the forum and I can't seem to find anyone with this specific issue. My radiator fan works when I tested it by bypassing the radiator temp switch. The fan only turned on when I waited until the temperature got up to 248 and the temperature on the dashboard started blinking and there was a red light that came on. I have a 2003 SV650s.

Any idea what I need to do? I tried to look for a replacement thermo fan switch but the only thing that shows up on Ebay are the Radiator switches which I did replace.

Shouldn't the fan be coming on around 220?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your thermostat junk?
Thermostat as in the one that measures the dashboard? I had a temperature laser thing and checked the engine block to see how hot the engine was. Is this where I can see how hot it gets? It was around a 10 degree difference when it shut down which tells me it's probably correct....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thermostat is in the cooling system. It's a valve that opens when the engine reaches the correct temp. 170°F for my SV. My bike gets really hot when stuck in traffic too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If your fan isn't coming on until then, its got to be an electrical issue. I don't remember what tells the fan to come on, if its a simple thermo switch, or if its the computer. If its just the switch, buy a new one, should fix it. Make sure your coolant is full too, could get air in the system giving weird readings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your fan isn't coming on until then, its got to be an electrical issue. I don't remember what tells the fan to come on, if its a simple thermo switch, or if its the computer. If its just the switch, buy a new one, should fix it. Make sure your coolant is full too, could get air in the system giving weird readings.
My fan did turn on, only after it hit 248 and the engine warning came on with the temp display blinking. Does that happen when you hit 220 and the fan turns on?

Should I just get a new temperature gauge? It seems to be reading the temperatures correctly. I'm just clueless as to why it doesn't turn on at 220.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Test the thermo switch - it's that plug in the bottom right side of the radiator (when sitting on the bike looking forwards)
But from what it sounds like, I'd say your switch component for the fan is shot

#20 on this page is the part you are looking for
bikebandit may not be the cheapest but it was the easiest to search for me

A cheapo solution would be to wire a switch in and just control the fan yourself - but replacing the part would be the safest..

But before you begin anything, make sure your coolant is topped off and that there are no air bubbles in the system. Air bubbles can throw off your main dash temperature (separate sensor from the fan switch)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Test the thermo switch - it's that plug in the bottom right side of the radiator (when sitting on the bike looking forwards)
But from what it sounds like, I'd say your switch component for the fan is shot

#20 on this page is the part you are looking for
bikebandit may not be the cheapest but it was the easiest to search for me

A cheapo solution would be to wire a switch in and just control the fan yourself - but replacing the part would be the safest..

But before you begin anything, make sure your coolant is topped off and that there are no air bubbles in the system. Air bubbles can throw off your main dash temperature (separate sensor from the fan switch)
+1

My memory wasn't doing to good this morning, but yes, this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I figured out why my fan wouldn't turn on. My coolant was basically empty. I have a leak in my coolant overflow tank. I guess the sensor won't get hot enough if there's no coolant to go through it!

Thanks guys for your advice!

·
Registered
336 Posts
:facepalm:
Was the radiator itself empty? Or was the radiator full and just the overflow reservoir was empty?
Running the SV with zero coolant probably isn't good for your engine.. especially knowing that you took it up to 248F a few times testing the fan

Remember to check coolant levels regularly
And while you're at it: ATGATT, check your oil levels, clean/lube your chain, check tire tread and pressure, check brake pads, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:facepalm:
Was the radiator itself empty? Or was the radiator full and just the overflow reservoir was empty?
Running the SV with zero coolant probably isn't good for your engine.. especially knowing that you took it up to 248F a few times testing the fan

Remember to check coolant levels regularly
And while you're at it: ATGATT, check your oil levels, clean/lube your chain, check tire tread and pressure, check brake pads, etc.
Overflow was empty and when I drained all of the radiator fluid from the engine there was maybe less than 2 cups worth. Hopefully I didn't damage it too bad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, hope for the best - definitely not good to run your engine when coolant is that low though
Why was it so low? New to you bike? If the coolant is that low and used to be full, then you might also have a leak somewhere that needs checking out

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar issue, fan wount turn on, i have changed sensor 2 times but it still doesnt works, when my radiator is full and the engine is working it has a lot of pressure, i feel it from the hoses. Should it be like that? And my radiator is bent little bit, that might be the issue?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts