Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been ridin like crazy about 300 miles in two days in about 100' weather never had the fan kick on when i checked wich was pretty often any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated its a 2000sv650 naked model

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are constantly moving, or at stop lights for a brief period of time, the bike wont get hot enough to kick the fan on. Lots of stop and go traffic??

·
Registered
484 Posts
Check the connection of the fan switch on the wire harness side, I had that same issue and 1st bought a new fan, then bought a new temp switch then finally found out my connection to the wiring harness was the problem ...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle - I can't believe my iPhone can use a Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Well looks like you're new here. Welcome. Some punctuation is always appreciated, and do you know when the fan is supposed to kick in? Usually around 215 F... So if you keep moving it won't kick in, but if you're in traffic, keep an eye on it and if it doesn't kick in around 215-220, you might have a problem.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
With the key on, short across the 2 terminals on the radiator fan switch and see if the fan comes on. If it doesn't, check for 12v power and ground at the fan.

There is a 1st gen switch replacement (actually a BMW car application, but fits perfectly) that kicks the fan on at a lower temperature. (link here) With shipping, it was only about $15.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
In 9 years, I've had the fan come on exactly 3 times. Each time I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic. It takes a pretty high temp to trigger. What temps was it reading on the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
First gens don't have a temp gauge. Since 2005 I can remember two times when the fan kicked on. Like everyone else has said you have to be sitting still a lot on a hot day before it comes on.
Whoops, missed the year

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Mine never kicked on unless I was sitting at idle for a few minutes, like at a construction zone. If I was moving even on the hottest days I never heard the fan kick on.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Relax,in 77k. my fan came on for 2 seconds twice.
99sv650,And it is over 100° here too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You have 77k on your 1999? Any major repairs in those miles?

My Hawk GT is the same way. The fan has yet to come on by itself, so I installed a manual override. I can turn it on whenever I want plus it will still kick on automatically (if that were to ever happen).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts