Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan wount turn on, i have changed sensor 2 times but it still doesnt works, when my radiator is full with water and the engine is working it has a lot of pressure, i feel it from the hoses they are inflated. Should it be like that? And my radiator is bent little bit, might that be the issue?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
The fan only kicks on when it's thermostat switch tells it to. Mine never turns on. Disconnect the plug from the thermo on the radiator and jump it with a paper clip, then turn the key on, fan should run. If it does, you may suspect a faulty thermo-switch on your radiator and fuss over testing it or getting a new one, only to find the fan still doesn't come on. That would be somewhat similar to my experience.

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
Jump the thermo switch as Kenneth suggested.

If that does not work, try measure voltage directly at the fan inputs. If you see 12v but no spin then the fan is bad.

Check too to be sure the fan blade spins freely and is not touching anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked and radiator fan works (when i jump it), but i have changed thermo switch 2 times, i really dont think that out of 3 switches thay all are dead )) but I dont know where to serch the issue...

That would be somewhat similar to my experience.
What was it )))) o myne is 06 SV650

·
Registered
322 Posts
What temperature does the cooling system get to? The fan normally comes on around 220 degrees Fahrenheit, that's a little over 100 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 06' usually runs around 185 degrees. On a hot day in traffic it can reach 200+ but the fan has yet to come on.
On an 80 degree ride the other day, the temperature hunted between 170 - 190 degrees. I wondered if that was caused by the thermostat kicking in and out....

Jim B

·
Registered
19 Posts
According to someone on the internet, one would use an industrial heat gun to test a thermostat. With the switch removed from the bike, connect an ohm meter to the terminals and apply heat to the other end. When it gets to 220° F or so, the contacts will close and the meter will indicate a connection. When that happens, stop applying heat. Overheating the switch will cause it to fail. Since you have 3 to test, you should be able to confirm that one of them works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What temperature does the cooling system get to?
Honestly i dont know i want to check it too

With the switch removed from the bike, connect an ohm meter to the terminals and apply heat to the other end. When it gets to 220° F or so, the contacts will close and the meter will indicate a connection. When that happens, stop applying heat. Overheating the switch will cause it to fail. Since you have 3 to test, you should be able to confirm that one of them works
I tried to worm up the sensor with fire it didnt do nothing ))

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I've got an 06 naked. I've never heard the fan run, but the temp has never exceeded 210*F.
The bike has to be running VERY hot to kick the fan on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe the SV fans go on around 216 and above.

OP check the fan itself. If your radiator is bent then the fan blades may not be able to move freely and you will need to either replace the fan.

I had the same issue you've got with an 03 SV and all I had to do was replace the fan. The fan was obstructed from circulating due to a slight bend in the fan casing.

If you have time and funds replace the radiator, flush your cooling system.

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
I have checked and radiator fan works (when i jump it), but i have changed thermo switch 2 times, i really dont think that out of 3 switches thay all are dead )) but I dont know where to serch the issue...
Low coolant will keep the thermo switch from operating. That might explain why none of the three work.

You know the fan itself is good since it runs when you jump the thermo switch.

There is a tiny safety screw that prevents the radiator cap from turning so be sure to remove that first when checking coolant level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts