Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to put some Purple Ice in my cooling system today ('05 SV 650S). Never messed with it before, but the dang radiator cap won't come off. Is it supposed to? I'm a gearhead an know how to take a cap off, but maybe it's not supposed to come off ?!!!?? I never really looked at the overflow tank while operating. Does it recirculate or is it just a catch tank?

I must be an idiot, but I'd rather ask you guys rather than break anything. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Just make sure that you wear full protective gear when you take it off hot! :eek: :eek:

j/k never remove that cap when hot ... you will get explosive diareaha of 220+ degree fluid all over you!

Reactions: Master_of_Justice

·
Registered
170 Posts
make sure you remove the little screw from the side of the cap (small phillips head screw).  its there to prevent it from coming loose......well, it was on my '03 so i assume it is prolly used on the '05.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Don't know about 2nd gen, but 1st gen had a tiny allen head set screw which kept the radiator cap locked in...

Reactions: Straticus

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
evilbologna said:
I have no such screw on my '03

No big loss. Mine didn't survive the fling across the garage after my first coolant change. I get po'd when outsmarted by inanimate objects... :mad:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my 99 has a small philips head lock screw

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
I get po'd when outsmarted by inanimate objects... :mad:
As do I, but I am now going to go check for that screw, just to see if there was supposed to be one there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll take the screw out. I saw it there earlier. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Evil, on my '00, it was up on top, near the indentations used for grasping the cap.

Come to think of it, my radiator cap screw was probably a phillips head too. What kind of mechanic uses a metric allen head wrench to unscrew a phillips head set screw? A DIY hack... :-[

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
evilbologna said:
I have no such screw on my '03
I do. Small phillips head set screw.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Poe said:
I do.  Small phillips head set screw.
Maybe the set screw is just on the nakeds, as mine is a SVS and there is no hole or anything for a screw if there was one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
make sure you remove the little screw from the side of the cap (small phillips head screw). its there to prevent it from coming loose......well, it was on my '03 so i assume it is prolly used on the '05.
Thank you so much for this 1154. I would have broke mine if it wasn't for you. I have a 2005 and it had the screw in the cap

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thank you so much for this 1154. I would have broke mine if it wasn't for you. I have a 2005 and it had the screw in the cap
Yeh it's a sneaky little bugger ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts