Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm heading to sears to buy a torque wrench.

i was installing my repaired radiator with a regular socket wrench, went too far and broke the bolt. i was lucky enough that i was able to get the broken piece out with a pair of needlenose. the hardware store by me doesn't sell any metric bolts, so the radiator is being held on by one bolt (and tubes) at the moment.

i'm going to try a few other hardware stores tomorrow, but anyone have any other suggestions? i'm supposed to head to the rally this weekend.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
stranger said:
i'm heading to sears to buy a torque wrench.

i was installing my repaired radiator with a regular socket wrench, went too far and broke the bolt. i was lucky enough that i was able to get the broken piece out with a pair of needlenose. the hardware store by me doesn't sell any metric bolts, so the radiator is being held on by one bolt (and tubes) at the moment.

i'm going to try a few other hardware stores tomorrow, but anyone have any other suggestions? i'm supposed to head to the rally this weekend.
Use some sort of bungee to hold the weight of radiator up , and take out the other bolt, the one you didn't break. Take that to a local hardware store( If there is such a thing in Hoboken :)), and use it to find a metric nut that fits it. Then, use that nut to find a metric bolt of the same length as the stock one, that will fit the same nut.

With out looking at it, it is probably an M8 or M10 of what ever length. If you need more help, feel free to call.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didn't i say that i went to the hardware store and they didn't sell metric bolts. i brought the unbroken one with me but was unable to match it.

i might run to home depot tonight, but they don't sell individual bolts. i can also try a hardware store near work tomorrow

G

·
Most auto parts stores carry at least some metric hardware. I suspect that the bolts are fine threaded M5 x 25mm or so (10 mm hex).

:)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nc_sv650 said:
Most auto parts stores carry at least some metric hardware. I suspect that the bolts are fine threaded M5 x 25mm or so (10 mm hex).

:)
they're 6x25; 10mm hex (thanks ron ayers). i can hit pepboys and autozone tomorrow after work if necessary

·
Registered
153 Posts
::) Glad I'm not the only one that has done this.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lowes

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually went to a hardware store by work. got two 6x25 bolts. they're phillips head, not socket, but that shouldn't make a difference. will install them tonight to get the radiator on for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts