Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear to have seen a rack for the SV in the 2003 Suzuki brochure, but cannot find anything on the net and of course, I recently threw out my older catalog so I can't search by part number.

Is was very similar to the one one that was modified:
http://www.exiant.net/jdryer/Bike/rack.gif

Could it be the same one so there's none for the '03+ ?

·
Registered
606 Posts
You gotta like a nice rack!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you can live without a passenger, look at www.luggagelocker.com for the tail bag that replaces your passenger seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I take it the rack I saw was for the 1st gen SV...

No such rack for 2nd gen?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think this is what you were looking for:

http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/sports_racks.htm#Suzuki

They don't have the pic linked for the 2nd Gen SV, but if you look at the sport rack for the 1st gen, you get the idea. It should be fairly simple to take this rack to a welding shop and have the backrest added (or even do it yourself it you've got the equipment).

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I emailed them looking for a pic but they have not responded. I have an '04 and I am wondering if I will lose my grab rail or if a new rail will be incorporated into the rack. I am a school teacher and I need a way to strap my laptop to the back of my bike when I commute to work a few times a week. Does anyone have any suggestions that might work other than this rack?

·
Registered
272 Posts
jeopardy98 said:
I emailed them looking for a pic but they have not responded.
Well, what do you expect? I mean, they probably didn't appreciate you asking for pictures of their rack...

Just couldn't stop myself.

·
Registered
482 Posts
jeopardy98 said:
I emailed them looking for a pic but they have not responded. I have an '04 and I am wondering if I will lose my grab rail or if a new rail will be incorporated into the rack. I am a school teacher and I need a way to strap my laptop to the back of my bike when I commute to work a few times a week. Does anyone have any suggestions that might work other than this rack?
Good use of the search function dear sir! (or ma'am) I would suggest looking at the tourmaster cortech tail bag that bungees to the back seat. I just got mine the other day. It's padded on the inside and holds like a champ. Great storage (fit my workout gear and access. without a problem) and worked well to bring my laptop back from the business school. I carry a passenger quite a bit so permanent solutions like the rack are out of the question.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
theoldguy said:
I would suggest looking at the tourmaster cortech tail bag that bungees to the back seat. I just got mine the other day. It's padded on the inside and holds like a champ. Great storage (fit my workout gear and access. without a problem) and worked well to bring my laptop back from the business school.
I just ordered the same one - along with the Cortech Sport Saddlebags. They've all gotten really good reviews on here and elsewhere. Here's the tail bag at NewEnough: clicky

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Awesome link. Thanks so much. I have a few other things I will be ordering from newenough so I will definitely order that. Will it be safe to use over my seat cowl, or should I just put the seat back on when I use it? I also appreciate the quick response.

p.s. I'm a dude. ;)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
jeopardy98 said:
Awesome link. Thanks so much. I have a few other things I will be ordering from newenough so I will definitely order that. Will it be safe to use over my seat cowl, or should I just put the seat back on when I use it? I also appreciate the quick response.

p.s. I'm a dude. ;)
It has a padded base (shown in one of the pics in the link), so I would think your cowl should be safe, but I haven't gotten mine yet (it'll be here in two days), so I can't speak from experience. Plenty of people here can though... maybe they'll speak up. If in doubt, just use your stock seat.

Do a search on "Cortech Tail Bag". It's been discussed several times and people have come up with alternative ways of mounting it to the bike. If you DO use the stock bungee cord mounting method, several people suggested that it's a good idea to put some clear packing tape (or 3M stone chip tape) on your body panels where the bungee cord rubs it to protect the paint from getting scuffed up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've had mine for a few days. I LOVE it! It's much better than a backpack. Anyhow, you "can" use it with your seat cowl. I used it the first day and it didn't do any damage. I'm not going to vouch for it though. Also, the bungee cords rubbing the paint is a legitimate concern. However, a quick packing tape job on the cords (I'm not putting that stuff on my bike) and it's good to go.

I'm probably going to order the saddlebags sometime in the next few weeks, in time for the rally. The gf is a little upset that I only got the tailbag b/c she thinks it'll keep her off of the bike. :) I told her that's why she's the designated backpack carrier when we ride. :p

I've said it in another thread, but you should have no problems with NewEnough. Their turnaround with my products last week was phenomenal!

·
Registered
248 Posts
theoldguy said:
...However, a quick packing tape job on the cords (I'm not putting that stuff on my bike) and it's good to go. 
Putting the tape on the cords seems to defeat the purpose. The cords move and rub the paint. If you put the tape on the cords, then the tape will rub the paint instead of the fabric cord.

I bought some web straps with buckles. I ran them through the "tunnels" on the bottom of the bag and then run them around the seat to secure the bag. I actually bought a spare rear seat and have intentions of permanently attaching short web straps with the buckles to match the ones on the bag. Sadly, I cannot find the exact same buckle to match the ones that come on the bag. You can go to the camping section at Wally World and get 2 web compression straps for about $2 each.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Happy2BNekid said:
Putting the tape on the cords seems to defeat the purpose. The cords move and rub the paint. If you put the tape on the cords, then the tape will rub the paint instead of the fabric cord.
My hopes were that the tape is slick and doesn't have the abrasion factor that the threading of the cables does. It seems to be working well to this point, but I've only been at it for a few days.

The main concern was the rough texture rubbing the paint. I think someone mentioned felt around it too.... might try that. I like the idea that I don't need to do anything but unhook to remove. Is your (H2B) method a quick release method? If so, & you get a chance, will you post up or email a picture or two? Thanks!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have not used this myself, but this is supposed to be the balls for laptop carrying:

http://luggagelocker.com/luggage-laptop-locker.htm

I also use the Cortech Tailbag and it's awesome. The bungees haven't done too much rubbing and it works fine on top of the cowl (as long as you don't put the bag on the ground then put it on the bike or something). Slides less with the cowl than the seat as well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
theoldguy said:
My hopes were that the tape is slick and doesn't have the abrasion factor that the threading of the cables does. It seems to be working well to this point, but I've only been at it for a few days.
It seems like that would be OK as long as your paint and the tape are both absolutely clean and grit-free - but dust/grit WILL eventually work its way between the two in normal riding. I would think the safest bet would be some kind of film applied to the paint - like the packing tape. That way all the rubbing is guaranteed to be on the tape - not your paint. I know 3M makes a film for sticking on the front of cars to protect the paint from stone chips (this stuff ==> clicky) - but it is apparently VERY sticky and is meant to remain on there permanently. I want something like that, but with a much weaker adhesive so I can put it on & take it off easily. Maybe if you put a good coat of wax on first, the packing tape will come off easier - or maybe stick it to your shirt a few times first to get some lint on it so it wont stick so good. Who cares how it looks. OR... you could just use some of that professional painter's masking tape - like most people use to cover their lights, etc. with for track days. It comes off real easy. Clear would be better though. I don't know... I'm gonna look around some and see what I can come up with. Probably just end up with packing tape. I know that "Goo Gone" will safely remove any tape residue/adhesive it might leave behind on the paint when it's peeled off - so that's not a concern.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts