Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took this video last night. We ran about 10 times with the same result, but this was the best video capture of it.

My buddy DiS drove my car with a passenger recording the race. I have a ton of mods to my car, which began life at 140hp.

I was on my '01 SV650 with a 14 tooth front sprocket.

*semi NSFW for language*

http://www.msprotege.com/~kooldino/videos/17psi_mp3_vs_sv650(divx).avi.

If you can't view the video, check out www.divx.com and get their latest codecs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i dont know what to say but of couse an sv will get beat at 50 on a roll lets see them start off the line

·
Registered
254 Posts
"This *points to mazda* beat this *points to SV*, I don't know how that's possible."

Well, the SV is a slow bike...and 17 PSI on anything will make it quicker than an SV. If that's the same motor from my Miata (I think it is) it's not going to be happy at 17 PSI for long unless you've done some upgrades.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The bike would smoke the car from a dead start. Your 1/8 mile time would have at least a second on the mazda, and that would probably hold firm till the 1/4.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sid.v said:
i dont know what to say but of couse an sv will get beat at 50 on a roll lets see them start off the line
I honestly expected more out of the bike. I really didn't think my car would win.

Obviously the SV would beat it 0-60, but I'm not going to let my friend try to launch my car to prove that. My car is only FWD, so on the street the bike will kill it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jesse H said:
"This *points to mazda* beat this *points to SV*, I don't know how that's possible."

Well, the SV is a slow bike...and 17 PSI on anything will make it quicker than an SV.
17psi on say...a WRX with a stock turbo probably wouldn't beat the SV from 50mph. Same goes for lots of other motors.

If that's the same motor from my Miata (I think it is)
It's not the same motor. You probably have a BP motor in your miata. The motor in my car is an FS-DE.

it's not going to be happy at 17 PSI for long unless you've done some upgrades.
I've rebuilt it with Pauter forged chromoly rods and CP forged aluminum pistons.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XLR8 said:
The bike would smoke the car from a dead start. Your 1/8 mile time would have at least a second on the mazda, and that would probably hold firm till the 1/4.
Well, what's a basically stock '01 with a 14T front sprocket usually run?

I have to take my car to the track soon, but last year @ 14psi it ran 13s.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
That doesn't add up. Your SV must be in disrepair (ie not running right). My friend's ~500HP supercharged Camaro walked away from my stock SV like that from a 50MPH roll... I don't think your Mazda is making that much power. A little over half perhaps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ShaggyZ said:
That doesn't add up. Your SV must be in disrepair (ie not running right).
The bike is running 100%. To be honest, I didn't think the car would beat the bike either, but it somehow did. That car hauls ass.

My friend's ~500HP supercharged Camaro walked away from my stock SV like that from a 50MPH roll... I don't think your Mazda is making that much power. A little over half perhaps.
I'm running around 350hp at the crank with a 2700lb car. Sure, I'm still 150hp shy of your buddies camaro, but I'm also about 800lbs lighter.

I noticed you have a Merkur. Ever hear of Nick Marrinarro of Modern Performance in West Long Branch, NJ? He does a lot of Merkur work.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Kooldino said:
The bike is running 100%.  To be honest, I didn't think the car would beat the bike either, but it somehow did.  That car hauls ass.

I'm running around 350hp at the crank with a 2700lb car.  Sure, I'm still 150hp shy of your buddies camaro, but I'm also about 800lbs lighter.

I noticed you have a Merkur.  Ever hear of Nick Marrinarro of Modern Performance in West Long Branch, NJ?  He does a lot of Merkur work. 
Oh well. We're just talking on the internet so I guess we'll never know for sure... and I"m okay with that :D

I have heard of Nick but only because of Modern Performance. I've been a little out of the Merkur scene lately (I spend too much time here :mad: ) but I seem to recall that they sell some expensive stuff that isn't worth it. At least, that's the concensus on turboford.org and merkurclub.com

FYI FWIW IMO - the guys on turboford.org are some of the smartest car guys out there. I've decided they're basically car nerds (that's different than those nerdy VW "car guys")

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kooldino said:
I'm running around 350hp at the crank with a 2700lb car.  Sure, I'm still 150hp shy of your buddies camaro, but I'm also about 800lbs lighter.
What's it putting to the wheels. That's the important #. Crank HP is all a stab in the dark unless you've actually bolted the motor to an engine dyno. Regardless, even if it were 300 fwhp, that wouldn't have a problem walking an SV from a 50mph roll on.

I hate the BP motor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ShaggyZ said:
I have heard of Nick but only because of Modern Performance. I've been a little out of the Merkur scene lately (I spend too much time here :mad: ) but I seem to recall that they sell some expensive stuff that isn't worth it. At least, that's the concensus on turboford.org and merkurclub.com
Well, the only reason mentioned it was because he's seen my car before (I'm running his piggyback EMS in my own configuration), and he could tell you roughly how much power my car puts out. He hasn't seen it at 17psi, but he's seen it at 14psi.

FYI FWIW IMO - the guys on turboford.org are some of the smartest car guys out there. I've decided they're basically car nerds (that's different than those nerdy VW "car guys")
Haven't really met any Merkur guys, but I definitely fit into the former category. I crunch numbers, read books, etc, and learn as much as I can. Just about everything that made my car what it is today, I designed myself.

I totally know what you mean about a lot of the VW guys though. Not all of them, but many of them are yuppies that know that more boost can = more power, but that's about it. They won't get their hands dirty, even if it's just to install a plug and play ECU. :-\

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jesse H said:
What's it putting to the wheels. That's the important #. Crank HP is all a stab in the dark unless you've actually bolted the motor to an engine dyno. Regardless, even if it were 300 fwhp, that wouldn't have a problem walking an SV from a 50mph roll on.
The only reason I said 350 is because I was trying to compare it to the 500hp Camaro. But you hit the nail on the head, I feel that I'm in the 300whp ballpark based on my previous dynos vs what's done to the car now.

I hate the BP motor.
It's better than what I've got. The older ones are built pretty damn strong (the rods are beefy), and they can handle a lot of boost on a stock motor. For more info, check out www.flyinmiata.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
Goin further off topic, but VW guys kinda go either way. You've gotta lot of money guys that sorta spend it and let someone else do it and don't really get it, but there's also a ton of guys (for instance in the MkII scene, what I have, and in Mk1's too I think) that do almost all their own stuff, and are 100% about getting dirty. Depends on who you've met though. There's a fair number of good people over on vwvortex.com though.

Props for postin up the video. I love the new generation Mazda's btw, I went to the first year of Rev It Up, the Philly one, and had a blast - wish I woulda been able to make the Rev It Up for the Mazda 3, cause they're even hotter than the 6's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Red Raevyn said:
Goin further off topic, but VW guys kinda go either way. You've gotta lot of money guys that sorta spend it and let someone else do it and don't really get it, but there's also a ton of guys (for instance in the MkII scene, what I have, and in Mk1's too I think) that do almost all their own stuff, and are 100% about getting dirty. Depends on who you've met though. There's a fair number of good people over on vwvortex.com though.
Most of the guys I met that didn't know their stuff were from vwvortex.com. Out of the 30 or so guys I met from that site, there were about 3 who knew what they were talking about. Maybe I just went to the wrong VW meet.

Props for postin up the video. I love the new generation Mazda's btw, I went to the first year of Rev It Up, the Philly one, and had a blast - wish I woulda been able to make the Rev It Up for the Mazda 3, cause they're even hotter than the 6's.
I went to both of them in Philly, but the second one (with the 3s) was so packed, that you couldn't actually do any training in between your 2 runs. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts