Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yep, More tire in contact with the pavement at full lean.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yep, More tire in contact with the pavement at full lean.
I don't think so.they can change size of contact patch without changing size of rim.it is search for best balance between size,stiffness,profile,grip,contact patch,braking,turning...etc.
latest trend is 16,which was popular 20 or so years ago :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
so,you only talking about mounting inner diameter of tire.got it.
Ya. I'm not sure if the overall weight is going to be lower on a 16.5, but I'd be inlined to think so, given the smaller rim, and most likely, smaller tire as a result. Now, there's some fudging there considering that they're running 125/80s and larger now, but I think that those same profiles in 17 inch form would probably be heavier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Kevin Cameron covered this topic a while back in his Cycle World Column.

As with most engineering choices, it's about compromise. According to Cameron, 16.5" is the current best compromie.

Not sure if this link to Google books will work , but it's an exerpt of Cameron's "Sportbike Performance Handbook". Search ("Kevin Cameron" 16.5). The result was the chapter on wheels

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Lsw...X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA134,M1

·
Registered
221 Posts
i'm pretty sure farbon kiber rims are illegal in motogp.... They used forged magnesium.

I hear they are illegal due to an infamous accident on the 90's when the carbon rim showed no signs of fatigue, then failed mid race. Forgot who the driver was...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts