Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so next summer i want to start doing track days. Figure i'll start doing research now and start collecting what i need so that i don't wind up having to spend a lot of money all at once. First question: One piece suits vs two piece? discuss.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Two piece is more convenient, but the zipper is a potential failure point.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Two piece must have a 360 degree zipper for it to be allowed on most tracks. Two piece lets you wear just the jacket on the street where you might want to wear jeans.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
on the track a 1 piece is more comfortableto some, a two piece is better for the street, you can take the jacket off and leave the pants on, and also like someone else said, you can just wear the jacket and leave the pants at home

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
2 piece for me. Although, the jacket, with the Teknic suits, is way too small to wear alone due to where it zippers...it is like a waiter's jacket, above the waist.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mstingray said:
uhh...isn't that what the search button's for?  i'm pretty sure it's been brought up before.

personally, i wear a 1pc on the track.
sigh... i originaly had a "YES I SEARCHED" line following the question... because I um...you know.. searched.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about price-wise. I've been looking around and i don't see a general consistency in what's more expensive. i would figurethe two piece is more expensive in the end.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The expense is not whether it's one piece or two, it's in how a suit is constructed, the armor, the ventilation, the thickness of the leather, the labor that goes into stitching the seams etc. It's like a custom tailored Armani vs an off the rack Sears; you have to look beyond the surface at the details. As a rule, Kangaroo skin, CE armor, rolled seams, all cost more.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i see. thanks a lot guys, i'm gonna start looking around for good prices. I think I will go with the 2 piece. this may seem like a silly reaosn but it seems like the 2 pieces will be easier to fit (as someone mentioned).

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you're gonna use it for both street and track then the 2 piece would be better. Its nice to be able to just take the jacket off if you stop for a bit. If you're just doing track days w/ it go 1 piece - and don't risk a zipper failure. I got my Spidi brand new on ebay around xmas time for $425 (end of year closeout). Make sure its perforated, cause you will get hot as hell. Stay away from the inexpensive, low quality, you get what you pay for here...and don't forget a back protector.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome. thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Having a hubby with a fairly decent crash record, I would recommend a 2 piece because you only have to replace one part of it in the event of it being cut off. :D

Seriously though, we both have 2 piece Alpinestar leathers, I prefer it that way as I can ride with them unzipped on a hot day or when I come into work I just wear the jacket. Also it looks like 1 piece suits are pretty uncomfortable (for guys at least) to stand around in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
AlexJ said:
..Also it looks like 1 piece suits are pretty uncomfortable (for guys at least) to stand around in.
The wedgie makes us ride faster to finish the race.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does perforated leather pose a safety hazard for track riders? I'd imagine it would deteriorate faster in a slide. Is it allowed in all the major racing series'?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah, it's allowed. Usually the suit is only perforated in the least likely areas to touch the ground, ie chest, inner arms, top of leg.

·
Registered
110 Posts
AlexJ said:
Having a hubby with a fairly decent crash record, I would recommend a 2 piece because you only have to replace one part of it in the event of it being cut off.  :D

Seriously though, we both have 2 piece Alpinestar leathers, I prefer it that way as I can ride with them unzipped on a hot day or when I come into work I just wear the jacket. Also it looks like 1 piece suits are pretty uncomfortable (for guys at least) to stand around in.
I think others have done a decent job summarizing the pros and cons of 2-piece vs. 1-piece. I partially disagree with the Alex's statement above.

I have a street 2-piece, and a track 1-piece. Generally, I think 1-pieces are more comfortable while riding because 2-pieces have a lot of extra material in the mid section and there is more weight on your waist from the pants (belt area must be tight because nothing else to hold them up).

A good 1-piece fits literally like a second skin. Alex is probably right that a 2-piece is usually more comfortable while standing because they are built to be tight when in a riding position; thus, whiel standing erect they tend to pull in the crotch making you walk slightly bent over (although unziping the front alleviates this).

a 2-piece is just much more convenient on the street. The ability to go for a long ride, take off the jacket and sit down for some lunch is very nice. This convenience is why I wear one on the street.

If I had to choose between the two I'm not sure what I would do. Honestly, I think it would depend whether I planned on using it more on the street or the track.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts