Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how about warm up before season with funny stories from racing?anybody got some?
here is one from my Loudon days.
me and my friend Lary were in pits waiting for next race.I took rag and cleaner and started cleaning bugs from front of my fairing.Lary's girlfriend was standing in front of bikes looking at me,than at my bike,than at Lary's bike parked next to my.than she asked "Lary,how come Zoran's bike is full of bugs and there are none on your bike?"
it took me second to respond,before Lary had chance to say anything.I said "honey,bugs are on back of his bike"

another friend changed brake pads on his bike and went out for practice.when he came back he said how new pads work great and stop like crazy but make a lot of noice.so we looked at his bike.rotors were all destroyed,full of groves and discolored.we looked at pads.he installed pads backwards,backing plate facing rotors. ;D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
right b4 i left the pits, I was wished good luck.
I was like "???"
Then I wrecked.
Fast forward to the next trackday I attend in the future.
Someone says "Good luck" and I jump off my bike and break their legs.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
lkm said:
right b4 i left the pits, I was wished good luck.
I was like "???"
Then I wrecked.
Fast forward to the next trackday I attend in the future.
Someone says "Good luck" and I jump off my bike and break their legs.
thats not racing!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
One of the club officials had just finished pre-gridding everyone on pit road and we were ready to head on out. The next thing I know he's swinging his leg, attached to his 235 lbs. body, over the back of my 300 lbs. RD400 with my little 140 lbs. ass on it, and sits down.  :eek: The bike more or less bottoms out. He says "lets go". He was also the flagman and he wanted a ride to the start line. At first I was a little pissed, but I putt-putted out there and he jumped off. I was prepared to "shuck" him off at any time if I felt I needed to prevent him from f...ing me or my bike up in any way  ;D

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I was lining up on the grid on my SV for a CMRA sprint race (Lightweight Twins) that had a two-wave start. They will race multiple classes at once and split up the groups into two waves, like novice and expert. The first wave starts, then they wait 5-10 seconds and send the second wave. The rule is if you are in the second wave, you put your bike in neutral and raise your left hand. That way you and the people behind you do not take off when the first wave goes. So I am starting in the back since start positions are based on accumulated points and I had not sprinted yet that year. Zero points = back of the grid.

So I pull into my 12th row grid spot, put my bike in neutral, and raise up my left hand per the rule. Then I look around. There is no one beside me or behind me. So who in the hell am I holding my hand up for? I just laughed and put my hand back down. Of course I had the last laugh since I finished third in my class (had to pass about 8 people in 7 laps). I finished less than two seconds behind a guy on an Aprilia RS 250. I was not sure if he was in my class (he was, duh) and he was really fast in the corners so I did not try to pass him since I did not think it would do any good and I did not want to risk a crash. I had passed him a couple of laps earlier but he got me back and I had to ride hard to stay with him. So maybe I could have had second. Ha! So lesson is, know who is in your class.

Another story... two years ago I was running an endurance team racing my SV-650. We finished third in our first r ace of the season, so we were pumped after that. However the rest of the season was one disaster after another. The most disasterous weekend was when we were racing at Hallet Motor Spedway in Oklahoma. A nice technical track with elevation changes, if they repaved it, it would be up there with Barber.

So anyway, one of my two teammates had asked to start the race since he had not done so yet in the season. So I say yeah sure, go ahead. So the race comes and everyone is gridding up. I think it was a three wave start, something like 50+ bikes on the starting grid. He was in the front row of the last wave. His turn to start came. He anticipated the flag and rolled forward a bit, then pulled the clutch back in. Unfortunately he did not let off of the throttle too, so when the flag was dropped, he dumped the clutch with the engine revving high and back-flipped the bike right there on the starting line. So the rest of the field takes off while he is crawling out from underneath the bike trying to drag himself to the edge of the track. Turns out he had broken his foot when the bike landed on him.

So the race workers get the bike back in the pits and we go to work on the bike. Bent muffler, smashed rear fairing, broken left rear set, broken clutch lever, etc. etc. About 15 minutes later we get the bike banged back together (with some help) using duct tape, zip ties, and a few spare parts. SO I go out for my stint, no problems, bike is handling well, lap times are decent. So I come in after an hour and hand the bike off to my other team mate. He is out for awhile but then dissapears. Turns out while he was racing he was passed by someone on the brakes, who immediately cut him off once they passed and then slammed on the brakes harder. He ran into the back of their tire mid corner, which unloaded the frontr and resulted in a lowside. So he gets back to the pits and we start fixing the bike again, the usual lowside crash repair stuff. So now it is my turn again, back out on a just fixed bike. I go out, no problems except a shifter adjustment i came back in for. I ride for an hour, then come back in and hand the bike back over to my team mate. HE goes out for awhile, planning to ride until the end of the race. About 30 minutes or so before the race is over, he comes rolling into the pits for an unexpected pit stop. The engine was not running, he was coasting in. Oh crap... Not a good sign. Turns out something let go in the engine just before he got to the pit entrance so he was able to pull in the clutch and coast back in. Long story short, the crank had broken, and that was that.

So the tally for the weekend: One broken foot, one lowside, a broken crankshaft, and all of the resulting pain and $$$. It was easily the worst day of racing I have ever had. The three of us look back on the whole thing and laugh now that it is over. The guy that backflipped the bike was the brunt of countless good-natured jokes for the rest of the season. "So, what do you think, motor needs more torque right?" "I think it might have been geared too tall at Hallet, what do you think?" "I am having trouble with my starts, can you give me some advice?" "Yeah, just pin the throttle and dump the clutch. Works GREAT!" :D

Whew, how's that for stories?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
back in 92 or 93 I went to Summit point.never been there before.did not know any of racers there either since I raced up north.I pitted on end of padock right next to guy with cool srx 600.I was riding hawk than.I did not realy talk to this guy untill after practice when he walked over to me.we were in same practice and apparently I passed him somewhere and he followed me.he asked me where do I brake for turn one since it looked to him I was realy late on brakes.now that he complimeneted my skills I had to make it sound good so I said somewhere at 2 mark.I was not telling truth :).
he was like 'man you realy good on brakes'.
next day we had races and I lined up on grid.for first time there I was doing good against local guys,i was in 4th place and we started coming on some lappers or second wave,not sure.right somewhere on middle of straight as I was passing this guy I notice it was my next door pit guy on srx600.first thing poped in my head is he will be watching me going in to turn 1 so I had to show him where I brake.of course I was braking at mark 4 not 2 but I could not show him that now.so I jamed on brake realy hard at mark 4 but kept my body tucked on bike all the way untill mark 2,than I poped up making it look I just hit brake.when I turned in to corner and was half a way through i looked back.my srx600 body was dirt riding through grass.
after race he came over and said he tried to brake late as I did but could not stop and run of the track :)
again he was amazed with my braking skills.
I could not tell him truth ;D

·
Registered
113 Posts
A young racer aproached me one day as I was having all sorts of problems with my bike. He was having problems with his brakes squealing in the wet conditions. I tossed him a can of CRC (wd40) and said-thattll sort the squeak--Kidding of course.
Well The brakse were quiet into turn one--but funnily enough diddn't work too well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
that's great stuff!! gotta love the psychological part of racing.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
in 2002 or 2003 I decided to start racing. Since I had never ridden or even owned a modern motorcycle this presented many challenges. ;D First I got ~$3K together to get a bike and gear.... I found a 1996 FZR600 for ~$1,200 and spent most of the rest on safety gear. I never rode the bike as I only had race plastics and had never even seen a race track in person, it was a *really* sharp learning curve...

I took the "race school" at Summit Point on Friday and was "ready" to race on Saturday :eek:
I had no clue what I was doing and the instructor acknowledged such. Others tried to talk me out of racing that weekend but after all the time and money I'd spent, there was no turning back. That Saturday morning in the second practice session I was coming out of turn 10 (a fast right that turns into a long straight) and after I straightened out and tucked in I was hit in the rear by the guy behind me. I was doing close to 100MPH and sliding on my BRAND NEW leathers watching a shower of sparks fly off my bike. I held onto the bike to use it as a shield in case anyone behind me was to run me over but after that danger passed I let it go and slid to a stop. I slid so long that the plastic pieces on my Sidi boots melted and began to flow, the hardware on them also turned blue. I later talked to the corner worker in that area and he assured me that I was not at fault. He offered up the number of the other guy but I declined... some things you just don't need to know.

I had ~3 races that weekend and despite the morning I was determined to attend. I finished Dead-Ass-Last in all 3 but survived without incident... and despite having roughly 1/2 the horsepower of everyone else as well as stock suspension I still wasn't that far behind the back of the pack 8)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Last October I went down hard in T6 (the Carousel) at Sears Point. Came out of T4 and I was gaining hard an a lapper...a titanically slow lapper. As I passed on the outside of T5, close, but nothing major, he got spooked and stood his bike up nearly hitting me and forcing me to take the far inside (and bumpy) line into T6 at a speed and angle that made things a little challenging to say the least. Hard on the brakes I tucked the front and down I went...hello collarbone break number #2.

Oh yeah, the slow lapper I passed was my girlfriends punk ass ex-boyfriend. Bitter?...me?...nahhhhhh :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was racing at daytona and some idiot decied when we were going through Nascar 4 comming onto the tri-oval and at the very last second i mean the very last second this guy whos back tire was even with my front decided to dive into the pits, no hand or foot signal no nothing. to this day i still do not know how he missed me cuz i never got off the gas. oh well Daytona is crazy but lots of fun

·
Registered
65 Posts
Knockhill last year was a disaster from the start.
Its about an 8 hour journey for me, so we left on the thursday and about 100 miles from home the van goes in to safe mode, 45mph max!, So we find the nearest dealers and end up waiting 2 1/2 hours to get it looked at, an injector sensor had gone down and they didn't have any in stock and it was over £500.
So we decided to carry on....at 45mph!!, got to the circuit about 12.30 (over 14hrs on the road :p)to find the gates locked, so it was a quick unload/rearrange the van so we can get to sleep, wake up next morning late, so its a panic to get setup and out for practice, got put in wrong group and caused all sort of excitement with the organisers, but apart from that friday went ok.

Qualified 6th on saturday morning, then in the sprint race after lunch I fell at the 3rd turn and thats all I remember until about midnight saturday.
Turns out I fell and someone else ran over me, apparently I sat with him the whole race chatting, held my bike in the van back to scrut bay, then went to medical centre where the signed me unfit for the rest of the day.

I spoke to loads of people that afternoon, some of it was jibberish and even fixed my bike!! , But all I can remeber is going down to the holding area then a big gap and sitting outside that night about 11.

The next morning I felt ok, so got cleared by the medics to race, re-scruted the bike and went out for practice,
This was really odd, the track was familiar, but like I had not been there for a couple of years, so I stuck behind someone else for the whole session.

Race 1 went ok, got up to third but thought it was best not to fight for my position and was struggling a bit with concentration, but still finished 4th.
Race 2 was better had a good battle from start to finish and ended 4th.

Loaded up and carried on at 45mph home, got back and a mate of mine had a spare sensor ::)

Strange thing is despite everything that happened I had a good weekend and sort of enjoyed it :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts